1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about the pope?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ace, Mar 29, 2010.

?

Should the pope step down?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2010.
  1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is an institution that has been a cornerstone in the foundation of western civilization, responsible for the modern university system and the modern financial grid (for good or bad), and the agenda is very clear. The sins are not mine nor yours, and we shouldn't be taken to the woodshed with them. It's been my personal policy not to comment on it, so I'll leave it be at that. Let the haters frolic, they need their fun.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure of your point, but -- in my opinion -- the Catholic church would be better served trying to root out pedophiles and publicly condemn the actions of a few rather than hide, obfuscate and blame.

That just gives haters and anyone who disagrees with child abuse, really, a valid attack. And it seems there is no end to it.

You could easily convince me that the Catholic church is filled with pedophiles to the highest ranks protecting each other. It's not like the church is showing much openness and resolve in the matter.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the most common explanations/rationalizations/excuses for the Church's official attitude toward the abuse issue is, "if they came after suspected pedophiles aggressively and ruthlessly, a large number of the present clergy would quit, and they can't afford to lose any more priests."

Well no shit.

a) isn't anybody who would be worried about such a policy somebody you would want out of the church?

b) you might not have such a desperate time attracting clergy if you would admit penis-less indivduals or practicing heterosexuals.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Post was poorly and hastily written. My apologies for the confusion. I am not comfortable with the subject, but it is the church of my parents and ancestors and the church I was raised and educated in, and I will continue to fly the black flag in its defense. Focused anti-Catholicism is 500 years old and open hostility is the most deeply seated in the history of the American people. If it's diddling young boys or antifreeze in the altar wine, it matters not. The haters will have a picnic. There is more pervasive coverage of this scandal, horrible as it is, than the ongoing war. Anyone who doesn't admit that is kidding themselves. Personally, I couldn't give a fuck whether anyone likes the Pope or not. I find more than enough reason to differ with him on many topics, but my disagreements are not part of a larger animosity that is very clear to see.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Hertzberg had a really good piece in the newest New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2010/04/19/100419taco_talk_hertzberg

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Understand your take, LJB, but saw a story just the other day about a pedophile priest who was convicted and petitioned to be defrocked and the church refused to do it for 8 years.

That's just craziness. I don't have anything against the church. But for years it has put its most vulnerable and innocent people in harm's way and has done absolutely nothing to help them. In fact it has tried to shame them and put up roadblocks to justice.

And I still think the Jews have you beat on open hostility.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bring a complete and total end to the diddling, with edicts with teeth.

It ain't hard. They just need to man up and do it.

Enough of the enabling bullshit.

The damage prevailing policies have done to the tens of thousands of
    young people who have been victimized is incalculable.

If Hell exists, there's a core group involved in this disgusting practice who
    have earned themselves first-class upgrades for their one-way trips.

That ain't hate. This is about human decency.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm neither Catholic nor Jewish, but you're 110% right, and it isn't close.

9. Herbert Anchovy

I know for a fact this was happening in Europe 10-15 years ago, and wasn't being reported on.

Why so long to be outraged?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because this time it has been demonstrated that this mess crossed the desk of the pope-to-be and despite his reputation as a bulldog, he handled it with kid gloves.

So this particular pope had been proved to be complicit in the whole mess and the church continues to fudge, distort, blame and it just keeps looking worse.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great points, Starman, but I would also add this:

c) By aggressively rooting out/turning over to authorities pedophile priests, it helps the 95-plus percent of honest priests. Between the clergy sex abuse scandal and the huge workload for the dwindling number of priests (who often minister to multiple parishes), morale has to be rock-bottom.

Draft saved Draft deleted