1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we avoid becoming part of the story here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Oct 16, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So here's a situation that happened at a prep soccer game. A girl was on a breakaway and beat the goalie, but her shot was deflected away from the goal by a fullback who came sliding in. It deflected off another player and out of bounds, where it hit my photographer in the leg and bounced back into the field of play. The defensive team stopped, even though there was no whistle. The offensive player then put the ball in the net and it was ruled a goal.

It wasn't a pivotal goal really, but it gave the home team a two-goal lead. They went on to rout the visitors. I feel like I should mention the goal since it was part of a three-goal outburst in the span of five minutes, but if I don't say it bounced off our photographer, I wouldn't be telling the whole story.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

If you feel it's necessary to mention the goal, then say the ball bounced off a photographer.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agree with awriter, but ...
    If the game was a blowout is it really necessary to describe all of the goals in such detail?

4. bigpern23

I don't think it's necessary to describe all the goals in such detail, but this was such an unusual goal, it seems to be worth the description. I've never seen anything like this happen, so it seems newsworthy.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By stating is matter-of-factly like that, though, you are saying the officials screwed up, are you not?

So if you write that, don't be surprised to hear from someone complaining that you are making fun of the officials. Probably the mother of one of the guys who worked the game.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

There is only one answer. Stop covering girls' soccer.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, where was the ref? The linesman?

Were they hired from the WWF?

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Sensational Sherri was distracting them.

9. bigpern23

Yes, I would be. And yes, they did. I could see it from midfield and my photog confirmed it after. The ref actually even asked her if it hit her. She said yes, he said he didn't see it and let the call stand (the ref in question ignored me as I tried to ask him about it and walked away after the game).

I'm on pretty good footing with the facts, so I can handle any phone calls I might receive about it.

10. bigpern23

Ref was right there. It's mind-boggling that he missed it, really.

11. bigpern23

Amen, brutha. Amen.

12. bigpern23

Outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted