1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can The 'Net Do This?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Dec 11, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I was away for a week and the fiancee just piled the five days' worth of newspapers on the end table in the spare room.

So, I was filing them away, taking out the flyer inserts as I went.

In six days, there were 33 flyers inserted into the paper and the total weight was 2.5 pounds. I'm not sure of the page count, but it's easily in the hundreds.

When the net can find a way to distribute that kind - and that much - advertising, it will win.

Until then, I cannot see how my newspaper is not making money, and lots of it, off these flyers and inserts.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if said newspaper's circulation trickles down and down and down and down ... will those advertisers still be spending $$ on those inserts?

3. But you didn't read any of them. Eventually that might start to annoy advertisers. At least internet ads could be a potentially tailored directly to the reader.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

No, I read lots of them actually.
    All the tech store ones (I'm lookin for an iPod)
    All the home improvement ones (I'm shopping for dad for Xmas)
    All the athletic store ones (lookin for shoes)

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

bud, if you want an IPOD, you go to cnet, read the reviews, and buy one.

only because i got a few gift cards did i end up at best buy. got a nice camera on the cheap. but im done with those stores. big flat screen coming next year, and i'll def be buying offline.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We don't make a lot on the inserts compared with the ads that appear within the paper. Almost never do we print them, we just deliver, and more cheaply than the Post Office. We do it only because a little revenue is better than no revenue. For a long time The New York Times refused to do inserts, but I see now there are a few.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

SHOES? go to Zappos.com. AMAZING customer service besides the prices and selection.
    Hate to sound like a commercial, but they are the Amazon of shoes

8. Frank_Ridgeway

That may be, but shoes are one thing I prefer to try on before I buy. Sure I could return them, but that's a hassle.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I know, but I hate shoe shopping. I'll buy 3 pair try them on and return 2. Free shipping, print the label and send it back in the box it came in. And if you know what siz you wear in certain brands, like Timberland and Johnston and Murphy, it's great.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

I don't know if that's the case with Timberland and J&M, but many shoemakers, such as Allen-Edmonds and Alden, use a handful of lasts when making the shoes, so the fit will vary from model to model. I can take a B width on some Allen-Edmonds and a D on others.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My wife buys the Sunday paper specifically for the ads and inserts. And we both prefer shopping and actually seeing something (and trying it on if necessary) to shopping on the Internet.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I wasn't reading an ad to "review" the nuances and intricacies of an iPod. I was reading them to compare prices.

If you don't have size 15 feet, like I do, that might be the way to buy shoes - especially if you buy from the same company every time and they fit the same, every time. But I was looking for shoes, on sale, in stores in my city.

Draft saved Draft deleted