1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the English language survive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Medial Collateral, May 22, 2008.

1. Been reading blogs, looking at text messages.

Is the English language, in a practical sense, on it's way to extinction?Slang has always won sway with formal English. I think the text messaging jargon will ultimately destroy the English language as we know it. I think in 10 years BFF will be an accepted part of the language to where it replaces it's translation. (IF you hve to ask what it means, you're already on the wrong side of the 8-ball). Journalism deans/teachers who cling to the idea that there will ALWAYS be a need for precise language usuage, for good writing, are deluding themselves. At one time the livery stable owners scoffed at the motor car. People thought there was no way a computer could be reduced in size to practical use.

Don't get me wrong. I love writing, I love the craft. I just fear that it will be as relevant as Atari in 10 years.

Where are we heading? Is there any way to stem the tide? You know my feelings. Discuss.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

brb, 'k?

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

DTGDTN!

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You mean you haven't received the Eleventh Edition of Newspeak? I have one right here.

5. Thanks for the glib responses. It confirms what I feared.

6. Actually, those old crusty dudes may end up getting the last laugh after all, as the oil crisis spins out of control (guy on TV today predicted $12/gallon eventually).

To answer your question - text message English isn't anything revolutionary. Go dig up one of your junior high yearbooks.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, Medial, I'll be completely honest with you.

I couldn't get past the fact you were asking about the death of the English language when you don't know the difference between its and it's.

8. Three wisecracks on a message board full of wisecrackers confirms that the English language is unsalvageable?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Its obvious that's it's intent.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

BFF: Big Fat Fucker?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I cannot speak as to the survivability of the English language.

But the American language is kicking ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted