1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone explain the obsession w/Ronda Rousey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, May 15, 2015.

1. AD

AD Active Member

serena

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Is the argument just over the headline? It's not like this will even be the first time this year that SI has some crazy hyperbole on its cover.

I think Rousey is great. She's also relatively new to 98 percent of people who don't follow UFC. The only reason I knew who she was before her latest fight is because she's been on some podcasts that I listen to.

Is she the most dominant athlete, female athlete, UFC fighter or whatever? Who cares, but SI needs to sell copies and I'm guessing "Ronda Rousey: She's really good" might not cut it as a cover headline.

3. Somebody - RS or Esquire, maybe? - did a take out on her a few years ago. It was either right before or shortly into the start of her MMA career.
    She talked about her judo background and losses and getting into MMA. They also detailed her training regimen.
    I was an instant fan.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Rousey's looks don't hurt, but she's known for dominating wins in her sport. In an era where Danica Patrick is one of the best known females in sports, that is refreshing.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am surprised somebody hasn't emerged as a potential challenger. There are other athletes out there with her same background in combat sports. But yeah, she's dominant - hell it will take longer to read the article than it has for her to win all of her matches put together.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

MMA is still a relatively new sport. And women's MMA is even newer. It has taken awhile for the talent pool to build up in women's MMA. Rousey was built for it, with her judo background and general attitude. The way she approaches fights is to find the fastest way to win possible, and she has the tools to do that, especially against weaker competition. Not many women fighters have that yet. I'm hoping that changes because I'm personally a fan of Rousey. I think she's an asshole.

There is one woman, Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino, that everyone thinks would be a huge challenge for Rousey. She is a vicious striker with a similar dominant streak. But she is in a different weight class and a different organization. The second part is easy to overcome, the first, not so much.

Most people probably haven't heard of her because she isn't as easy on the eyes as Rousey:

[​IMG]

8. RecoveringJournalist

She looks like she could eat Ronda Rousey.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

She is genuinely terrifying. I wouldn't say the same of Rousey. Would Rousey destroy me inside of 10 seconds? Sure. But I'd be more worried about pissing off Cyborg than Ronda.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Rousey might beat you faster that her, but that woman looks as terrifying as Mike Tyson pre prison and pre medication.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Steroids do amazing things.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Move over, Jeffrey Leonard.
    "Penitentiary Face" is back.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted