1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone explain the obsession w/Ronda Rousey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, May 15, 2015.

1. If she's not the most dominant female athlete in the world who is?

Keep in mind, by dominant, Rousey is literally dominant. She forces her foes into submission. This isn't a team sport. She is Bad. Ass. On a Chuck Norris scale.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

FTFY.

Yes!

Fighting isn't too bad either, especially if they get to pulling hair.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Better than deflated balls. Surprised they didn't go with Blake Griffin though. Russell Westbrook is the only NBAer who has had a cover in the last couple of months. Hell, some post-seasons, Jordan would have three or more.

On a related note, I thought the writing after the MayPaq fight and the Derby to be quite strong. "The smell of cigar smoke and Axe body spray...."

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In mud, Jello and once, pork and beans.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know she's had some bit parts in big movies. I haven't seen FF7 yet, but I've heard she's good in it.

If I was a Hollywood producer, I would tab her to be in some low budget action films.
    I thought the estimate that 3 in 10 people around the league said they thought it was fixed was pretty telling.

6. Vombatus

Anyone eat the pork and beans afterwards?

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

I can think of five off the top of my head... in boxing, track, swimming, triathlon, skiing (but it's not Vonn). So no team sports. All are bad ass. All are American.

I just don't think SI ever thinks beyond 5 or 6 sports.

Last point: Rousey's only had 11 fights in MMA. Respectable, absolutely, but the women's division is also new. (And some of those 11 were probably tomato cans.)

8. Vombatus

I wish this thread had pics.

9. No names?

mpcincal likes this.
  10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I loved older MMA for the same reason why I enjoy the current women's product: They tend to go to the ground. Hate boxing, love wrestling and jiu-jitsu.

When they resort to basically, boxing, standing up every time someone is taken down, it bores the hell out of me.

That said, Rousey doesn't look like much with her game face on, but in street clothes, she's hot as hell.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    There are others, of course ... some NSFW.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Half a 6

Draft saved Draft deleted