1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone explain the obsession w/Ronda Rousey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, May 15, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I get SI now, but I didn't for a couple years. Is Rousey the first MMA/UFC fighter to make the cover?

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

UFC = U Fight Cheap

She probably won't be getting a whole lot more. The top men don't clear $1 million in a fight.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Dana White has to love that. He gets huge PPV numbers, but none of the fighters are well-known enough to make the kind of money that boxers usually do. Rousey is probably the exception, but she's going to make a lot more $$$ from commercials than she is for fighting and more power to her.

I like Rousey's story. Wins bronze, comes home finds out that doesn't mean shit, and then has to go make things happen for herself. I didn't know that the woman who beat her in the Olympics killed herself. That was crazy.

4. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

She'll get her payday with the WWE one day.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Ewing story was great. Favorite line was Pat Williams talking about Al Attles' look when the Warriors' envelope was the first one opened.

"He looked like he'd been hit in the face with an axe handle."

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

The difference between Patrick and Rousey is ...that Patrick has much tougher competition.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How many people buy UFC PPVs these days? Do most of them top a million buys? That seems like a lot.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rousey is the only female in SJ.com history who is a definite 10 -- at least if she's in earshot.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

She also tweeted about a Sandy Hook truther video calling it "interesting" and "must-watch." I lost a lot of respect for her after that.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Except she wins, and she wins in a dominating fashion.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Am I missing someone? I can't think of any woman who's halfway close. She's undefeated. Her last two fights have lasted a combined 30 seconds. I have a pretty dim view of UFC, but she's pretty amazing.

It could well be much less for the next fight. From my understanding, UFC fighters can no longer sell sponsorships on their trunks because the governing body just sold the space exclusively to Reebok. That's a major blow for the fighters.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

People seriously pay to watch women fight?

Draft saved Draft deleted