1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can somebody explain to me the Springsteen popularity?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can't really explain it, but there is something in his music, especially his live performances, which connect very deeply with me. I think that there is a sense of belief in his lyrics and performances which are hard to describe.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I like Springsteen, enough so to have a compilation CD in the collection.

Revere him? No. No offense to those who do - all of us could claim that someone else's musical tastes are a bit good - but I feel I can make strong arguments for at least a half-dozen acts before Bruce.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just found this kind of amusing, Casty - that makes you a whole 3 years older than Bruce himself.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Thanks to Bit Torrent, I "downloaded" seven of Springsteen's more acclaimed albums earlier today, starting at The Wild, The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle to Tunnel of Love.

I just listened to Born To Run, which I've heard before, and I'm three songs into The River.

After never giving the Boss' music a chance, I'm slowly coming around.

(Disclaimer: I still don't like Dylan and his crappy voice :D)

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You must've missed those Born in the USA tour shows with the dancing bear (during the Growing Up story), father time (during some performances of Glory Days), the blackboard (during the intro to Pink Cadillac to show that the Garden of Eden was actually located in NJ), and other schtick over the years.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

He's just like us.....

...except worth 100 million more.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Really? Seriously? Guy is 59 years old, still releasing relevant albums, playing halftime of the Super Bowl and selling out arenas nationwide and he's not in the stratosphere described above? Even though the only existing acts in your list (Stones/Who/U2) have all done most or all of the things Springsteen has done in the last week?

Give me a break.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Use BitTorrent to find his Feb. 5, 1975 concert at the Main Point in Bryn Mawr, Pa; or the March 25, 1977 show at Boston Music Hall; or the July 7, 1978 show at the Roxy Theater in LA, or the August 1978 Cleveland Agora show mentioned earlier in this thread, or the Sept. 19, 1978 show at the Cap Theater in Passaic, NJ, or the Dec. 15, 1978 show at Winterland in San Francisco; or his longest show ever - Dec. 31, 1981 at the Nassau Collesium (NY); or the Aug. 20,1981 benefit for the Vietnam Vets at the LA Sports Arena... the list can go on, but those are some early highlights off the top of my head.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I didn't get it until "The Ghost of Tom Joad."
    I own everything he's ever done now, including numerous bootlegs.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I'd put the five albums from Wild and the Innocent through Nebraska up against any five straight albums by any American band ever (and pretty much any band except the Beatles). Not that many big singles, really. But the combination of storytelling and rock, and the journey taken in those 10 years, is unparalleled.
    Born in the USA was his sellout, but it certainly has its moments. The stuff since is a little hit or miss, but there are definitely some hits. And getting the band back together was a brilliant move.
    Is Bruce these days a little corny? Sure. But he's still making great music, and he touches something that no one in his business does any more, not even U2.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What do you mean when you say "Born In The USA" was his sellout?

12. I'm still not convinced. Born to Run is great, and I guess that's like saying Sweet Child is a great GNR song and their hardcore fans will sing the praises of Locomotive, Rocket Queen etc.
    Energy and passion and being a great crowdsmith is awesome, but that doesn't make the music good or the schtick palatable.

Draft saved Draft deleted