1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can somebody explain to me the Springsteen popularity?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Agreed. I respect the man and the band, but I'd rather listen to something else.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

You've never heard "Til I Die", I guess.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now I know why I could not get you on the phone for the past 2 hours. You have outdone yourself.

Can't help but think that new lyrics would hit home to many of Bruce's early fans from the shore that went to work on Wall Street.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Anything to avoid actually writing. Now I can't get that effin song out of my head.

5. Boom_70

I'll never wear a yellow tie again.

6. Boom_70

I had a job, I had a girl
    I had something going mister in this world
    I got laid off down at the exchange
    Our love went bad, times got strange
    Now I work down at the carwash
    Where all it ever does is rain
    Don't you feel like your a rider on a downbound train

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I've never come away from a springsteen show feeling like I didn't get my money's worth. can't say that about a lot of the other bands i've seen in the past 15 years, most of which have come and gone.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

As he jumped from song to song last night, it struck me. He's one of the guys whose music is the soundtrack to my life (I'm mid-40s). Then, add in that the music rocks. And I don't find any kind of dichotomy between the music the oft-dark lyrics. Put the lyrics with when he wrote them.. Born in the USA in the early Reagan years after Vietnam, the Rising after 9/11, Devils and Dust during Iraq....That's poetry.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

way to go, 21.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You see a Springsteen show, three and a half hours later, you wonder why other bands don't suck it up beyond the 90-min. set and two encores.
    Not a lot of bullshit on the stage either, no elaborate sets, dancing boys, lasers. Just music. What a concept.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

There were more NFL generated pyrotechnics in 13 minutes last night than there are in 100 Bruce concerts.
    No light shows, no smoke, no fireworks ... just music, chatter and fun.

12. Boom_70

no refs with flags either - just bruce with his corny jokes

Draft saved Draft deleted