1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Michael Vick get through a press conference without being...well, himself?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

OMG a typo on a message board. Oh the humanity!

I'm watching the game while doing research for a story. It happens.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Have no idea what happened in this presser. Haven't seen or talked to Vick in years, well before the dog stuff. That said, my experience covering him when he was at Virginia Tech matches what Reuben is saying. Always seemed to enjoy interacting with us, even after they started protecting him from us unwashed masses.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This post is just silliness. I hate when people play this card.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Piotr insulted him.

I'd rule it offsetting penalties and replay the down.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know Va Tech has (or used to have) a reputation for being extremely media friendly (or at least that was my perception as someone who never covered them. How quickly into his freshman season did they crack down on his access?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

VT used to be the best. Now it is very limited and restrictive.

It was later in his second season when it got a little leery of a lot of "what you going to do?" questions. They called a press conference before bowl media day for Vick to announce he was coming back. It was so obviously a set up that we just kind of chuckled. First scrum after practice at the bowl, Vick let slip that the decision was NOT made. Oops.

After he declared, he came back for pro timing day. His new handlers - not associated with VT - sent out a note that he'd be available after the workout for 10 minutes "and 10 minutes only. He's on a very tight schedule." So the 10 minutes pass, no one breaks it up. We go on for 45 minutes. He's laughing, talking, enjoying himself. Finally someone said, "Hey, don't you have somewhere to be? They told us 10 minutes." And he said, "I got nothing, I can talk as long as you want."

He tightened up a lot toward the end of that season but was free and easy and relaxed once the decision was made. I wish he'd been able to stay another year. I think it would have been good for him, in many ways. But he was the clear No. 1 pick. No way he could stay, even though he wanted to and knew he needed another year.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, I've gotten tired of this act in one quick thread.

Reuben, if you don't get something or if something's too inside-jokish, move the fuck on. Don't stand there and demand to know, "what do you mean?!"

And here's hoping we spelled your first name correctly. zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

P.S. My initials are all you're fucking getting. Deal with it.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Late to the party here, but hafta stand up for Roob. The premise of this thread is mistaken, at best. I cover Vick every day. Vick wasn't trying/hasn't tried to intimidate anybody. If you think he's, deep down, a terrible person for what he did --- which is your right -- just say so. Don't make up cutesy bullshit stuff to jab him with.
    -- Les

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My problem wasn't about the Vick stuff at all, Les. It was more the "what do you mean about that?" and "what do you mean about this?"

Just sayin' ... if you don't know what they mean, sit back and observe for a while. All will become clear.

And then the "why not use your real name" ... well, like Dick, I have absolutely no use for that.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I understand jr/shotglass's point. But I don't have a problem with a guy saying "You really need me to tell you how I FEEL after a horrible, devastating loss, the third time we've blown a fourth-quarter lead in three weeks? How do you think I feel?" That's more or less what Vick said. It seemed honest and not all that vitriolic.

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Vick paid for his past behavior with a prison sentence. Or is he not allowed a second chance in life?
    It's time to find someone else to crucify, which always has plenty of folks in the media frothing at the mouth.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought Vick came off like a dick with that response. It wasn't dumb to ask him to put it into words. I bet almost every autobiography an athlete has ever written, for example, attempts to put into words how they felt after one or more of their most devastating defeats.

Plus, who is to say that the answer wasn't, "You would think that I would be devastated, but I'm not. We made some mistakes, but they're all correctable. I can't wait to get back at it as soon as I walk away from here. I know more today than ever that this team could be special if we just cut back on some mistakes we've made."

Draft saved Draft deleted