1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Barack Obama get a fair hearing from the American people?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Jacky, what makes this so interesting with past Presidential elections is that there is a perception that voters would tend to take a populist who is sitting on or near the dividing fence.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

D3 - why is it that the black community loves Bill Clinton so much. I've never gotten that. As president his policies were overall very damaging to blacks.

Bush has appointed more blacks to higher level cabinet positions than Clinto ever did.

What are some good things that Clinton did for black community?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That piece is well-written, but horseshit cynicism. As much as many Obama pieces are horseshit sunshine. His character, ideas, record and gifts are what matter. Not what the media has packaged him as, and how, as a result, this writer sees that package.

I don't know America. At what point do we stop talking about the "story" and start talking about the problems? They're not going away. We need to check ourselves very soon. We can't let television make up our minds for us.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The thing is, if they won't vote for Hillary, they *definitely* won't vote for Edwards, who is far to the left of Hillary (and those swing voters probably won't vote for Hillary).

Obama has one thing going for that crowd -- he's generally positive, and he's been consistent.

The sad thing is, our crop of potential presidential candidates really, really, really, really isn't good on either side. This is shaping up to turn into Nixon vs. McGovern all over again -- a rather crusty, unlikeable candidate vs. someone from the extreme fringe of his party. We need a statesman (like, and I'll hold my nose for a second, George H.W. Bush), rather than someone who will continue to crack the fault line that has become American politics. From the Dem side, Obama might probably the closest person to that ideal -- I don't agree with him on very much, but I get the sense he doesn't pull punches and he's honest about who he is and what he would do. From the GOP side, it's probably Fred Thompson.

Rudy would be too divisive, as would Hillary.
    Romney, like Edwards, is too "out there" for a lot of people, and might be divisive in office.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not that I disagree, but which policies? And how were they damaging? I'm curious. Clarify.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Couldn't the same argument be made for Mitt Romney? (unelectable, would have a hard time winning) because of his religion? Many people say they don't care if he's a mormon, but I think when they get into the voting booth, its a different story. FWIW Romney has much more leadership experience than Obama (recent flip-flopping on issues to win conservative vote notwithstanding).

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wow, do you really think that opposing affirmative action is a sign of racism? I guess I'd be offended if I weren't so stunned.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Obama's best bet for credibility would be to run with Che as her VP. Look, dammit, I'm not going to vote for either but if The Liberals want to do something really intelligent and potent, they'll do that. Which makes me bet they won't.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Many would argue that the welfare reform act which Clinton signed into law was very damaging to a generation of black children.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I guess many would, I doubt you're one of them.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As Guy said...if you're not one of them, then you can't use that as an example. Because you don't really believe that.

Again...what are the policies? I can think of some. A big one especially. But I want to see what you can think of.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

My sentiment exactly ... except I think the matter of his flip-flopping will ultimately be what does him in. It's a much more extreme case than those in past years (Kerry, etc.).

I think polls, in general, are full of crap. People only say what they think people want to hear this far out from the election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.