1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anything be done about the glut of electioneering calls?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Nov 7, 2006.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

Had a Republican candidate around here who was pissed at some Republican group from Minnesota who was calling district voters and clowning on his Dem. opponent's policy on immigration. The reason he was mad wasn't because the people calling were automated, but they had such a thick Mexican or Indian accent that call recipients couldn't understand them!! The message from these inaudible folks? Don't vote for the Democrat because he has a shitty policy on ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!! HA!!!!!!!

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Wait . . . I think you buried the lede here . . . Joe Piscopo? Would anyone do anything based on what Joe Piscopo wants?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's exactly what I've done. No fuss, no muss.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Exactly.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

A problem with the cell phone only option: those of us that live in small towns or rural areas would lose 911 identifiers if I understand correctly.

The thing about the politaval calls that drove me crazy (and I will use past tense here as the poll close in about an hour and a half), I am poisitive I read an article somewhere that said that while political calls were exempt from the do not call list, if you hung up they had to disconnect within like a second or two. This was, as I remember, because someone needed to call 911 and the line was taken by a recording that did not hang up until it was finished. I have been checking when I get calls to see when the line is free (cause I got that kind of time) and they are taking as much as ten seconds to give me my phone line back.

And Dog...you don't need the phone line, that's true. But if you are with DirectTv, your reciever will not update the software on it without a phone line. Not a big deal if you have a non DVR reciever, but the DVR's get updates oncein a while...

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's a tip from someone on the inside...

If your state allows early voting, tell anyone who calls you already voted.

You get taken off their list immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted