1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a journalist AFFORD to retire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Still a Bulls fan, Aug 1, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

oh and there was this compan in houston where all the employees invested their 401k in the company and that didn't work out so well.

as with any investment, diversity is key. anyone who thinks money will simply evaporate needs some rudimentary lessons on investing. yes there is risk but there are so many ways to spread out and minimize your risk. just off the top of my head i'd say buy broad based index funds and although you won't get rich if you contribute regularly for the next 30-40 years, you'll have a decent nest egg.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

All this makes me glad there's almost no way I'll live to see retirement age

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I plan to die at my desk, alleviating the need for any retirement money.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A million can be like in yen, right? Because I'm pretty much covering everything else.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I figure this baby will get me the car, house, white picket fence, 2.5 kids and through retirement. :D

[​IMG]

I never realized Brook (awesome mustache, BTW) was a Donruss "Diamond King." That's pretty damn impressive.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Can you afford to keep me in shoes? That's the real question, ya know. ;)

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you're 5-nothing, shouldn't you get a discount on shoes because you'd wear like a size 2.5 and not need as much material, even with the 22-inch heels?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It really doesn't matter what size you wear, they all tend to cost the same. Not like any woman's shoe has a lot of material.

And for the record, I wear a size 7, not a 2.5.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Huh. You learn something every day.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sportschick,

I got you covered!

[​IMG]

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I plan on committing hari-kari on my 70th birthday. Let everyone else figure out what to do with me.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Don't know if I can afford to, but I'm going to anyways, and before 60 years of age. This is my 31st summer as a full-time sports writer and quitting isn't that far down the road.

Got my 401K, got my IRA, got money in my kid's college savings plan, got my SSA (hopefully), got my wife still working, got a reasonable morgage, a beater truck that's paid for, and I can live cheaply (I hope) after the house is paid off, and still make beer money by stringing or even working at my current job 2-3 nights/10-15 hours a week just to keep active.

Working full-time in 10 years just isn't in the cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted