1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Jedi lightsaber cut through Superman?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andyouare?, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good point, and one I had forgotten about. One of Superman's biggest weaknesses, other than Kryptonite, is magic. So if there is some magical basis to the Force, then a jedi could very well take out Superman. Based on the films, though, it seems the Force is more of a physical ability (the whole ridiculous midichlorian bullshit).
    If a Jedi's powers are magical, the mind trick could very well work. If they're physical or mental, I don't think they would. At least not without a serious struggle. Superman is a pretty strong-willed individual.
    No matter what, circumstances have to be right and a Jedi has to bring his A game to have a prayer in this fight.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Somehow, I envision this fight going like this...

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn i love this thread!

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So who's giving the odds on which Jedi would fare best in the fight with Superman?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you crazy? What if he goes to the dark side? Sheeesh!

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

We'd have to hope to turn the Emporer or Vader back to the good side to take him out.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You hit on the key point in there, Batman. Jedi mind tricks work on the weakminded. Superman has been mind-controlled before, but he's not weak-minded. He's just run into some characters with more impressive abilities in that area.

Forget throwing Jedi at him. How about Palpatine in his prime? He's the ultimate sneaky bastard and force lightning could probably hurt Superman (if I remember correctly, he can be hurt with electricity).

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jedi mind tricks would not work on Superman.
    It all comes down to the location of the battle.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Now you're talking! This would make a great comic book miniseries.
    I could see Superman getting transported to the Star Wars galaxy, landing on an outlying Empire planet and becoming its protector from Rebel forces. Palpatine senses Superman's presence (a disturbance in the force), and gradually recruits Superman as his new apprentice. With Palpatine's "guidance", Supes sees the rebellion as a threat to law and order in the Empire. I mean, on a day to day basis, how bad is life on Coruscant? He almost single-handedly destroys the rebellion, as Vader grows more and more jealous.
    Eventually, the showdown comes — a Jedi-trained Superman (who has somehow had an ungodly level of midichlorians introduced into his bloodstream) vs. Vader. Vader's rage and cunning allow him him to hold his own for a while. He's built a new lightsaber out of kryptonite, and it weakens Superman. But just a little. With the midichlorians in his system, Superman's power is on another level. Supes force-flings Vader halfway across the planet, nearly killing the Sith lord.
    Catching up to him seconds later, Superman comes across a bloody, armless Vader (gotta get the Lucas-esque dismemberment in there). Vader tries to turn back toward the light and warn Supes about Palpatine's true intentions. But Palpatine is pulling the strings. He gets in the weakened Superman's head and tells him Vader is lying. He urges Superman to kill him, before he can recover and do evil things to his new home. Superman's eyes glow red with heat vision as he prepares to burn Vader to a cinder again.
    But he can't. He sees what's happening to him. He's about to murder a defeated man. He questions Palpatine, who urges him to dispense with Vader once and for all. Superman still can't do it. He starts to walk away. An enraged Palpatine blasts his new apprentice with force lightning, stunning him. Superman falls to one knee. Palpatine blasts him again. Superman falls, unconscious.
    At that moment, with his last ounce of strength, Vader rises. Gripping his lightsaber with his remaining hand, he turns it on and swings at Palpatine — who senses the attack and uses the force to push Vader into a tree, impaling him on a branch. The lightsaber clatters to the ground as Vader breathes his last.
    Superman, still battered, starts to come to. The momentary reprieve from Vader has given him enough time to regroup. He uses a quick blast of his heat vision to set Palpatine on fire. As Palpatine burns like Vader once did, he screams in agony and pleads for Superman to finish the job. Give in to his rage. Kill him
    Superman resists.
    As one of the universe's greatest heroes, he sees another path. With a quick stomp, he crushes Palpatine's hands. No more force lightning. He picks up Palpatine's battered carcass and flies back to Coruscant. Palpatine will pay for what he's done, but in a court of law. Eventually, he is banished to the Phantom Zone.
    And the Empire? It continues, but in a new direction. Superman's direction. He is now the new force in the galaxy, brimming with both his Kryptonian powers and his newfound force powers. He reshapes the galaxy in his own image. Truth, justice, and the Empire's way.
    It's benevolent, for the most part. And peaceful. No one needs to challenge him. No one dares to. The few scattered uprisings of the remaining rebel forces are crushed with little more than a thought. He protects them from all alien threats. Superman reigns supreme here.

Wow...just finished this. I think I had a Geekgasm here.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fighting Superman is like real estate. Location, location, location.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok, that's at least two members of this board who can massively out-geek me.

But it was a fun read. I'd rather see that than Superman vs. Alien or Superman vs. Predator, both of which, I think, have been done.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Every time I tell the wife I'm going to the comic book store, she calls it "The nerd store." I feel my coolness slip away a little more each time.

Draft saved Draft deleted