1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Can a computer comprehend feistiness?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 10, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, a player actually willing to think about how the new thinking of baseball can help him become better!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Alu7nB73f2XguyNy.NaSqzypu7YF?slug=jp-springbannister030808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. He is definitely asking for a wedgie!

In all seriousness, I read that, too. Bannister is impressive. He has thoughts. Not just on this, but a lot of things. Apparently he's big-time into photography, as well. Posnanski mentioned something about how the can talk to you for hours about the lighting in different movies.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bannister's supposed to be this generation's right-handed answer to Tom Glavine.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Tim Keown on the battle between statheads and traditionalists.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/080311

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hmmm..

You can watch baseball with a dreamer's eye and still know that a guy who gets on base close to 40 percent of the time is going to score more runs than a guy who doesn't.

Or, you can make such absolute statements and be totally wrong:

2007 numbers

Todd Helton ... OBP .434 ... runs 86
    Jorge Posada...OBP .426..runs 91
    Jack Cust... OBP .408... runs 61
    Miguel Cabrera...OBP 401...runs 91
    Pat Burrell...OBP .400... runs 77

Curtis Granderson ... OBP .362 ... runs 122
    Alex Rios.. OBP .354 ... runs 114
    Jimmy Rollins ... OBP .344.. runs 139
    Jose Reyes .. OBP .354... runs 119
    Dan Uggla .. OBP .326... runs 113

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hmm ... if only there were a baseball writer in Cinci-nutty that Enquirer readers might benefit from reading. Someone who was a successful beat writer, who knew his shit and who didn't need to resort to this knee-jerk masturbation of a column when he wanted to write something insightful. If only ... ::) ;D

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

would you please explain irony.

8. So ... getting on base is ... bad.

Makes perfect sense.

I'm sure none of those correlations had anything to do with where they batted in the lineup, who surrounded them, the fact that they had more plate appearances (you're giving me a catcher??? Are you kidding me??), the fact that they can run and the fact that power hitters are on second and third more often to start with, etc. Nope. It makes much more sense that they scored more runs because they weren't on base very much.

9. All Keown has to do is add the clause, "All things being equal," and the sentence works just fine.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

But that is not what he said. He said unequivocally "a guy who gets on base close to 40 percent of the time is gong to score more runs than guy who doesn't."

Again, sabermetricians ripping "traditionalists" are just as bad as old-timers ripping sabermetricians.
    Nothing is absolute... but Keown is doing what you accuse some of us of doing -- just coming from the other side.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I doubt that, but it would make me happy beyond words if the Mets traded a 300-game winner for Ambroix Burgos.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Glad the Mets traded him for a used rosin bag.

Draft saved Draft deleted