1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a blog get me a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by young-gun11, Nov 22, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Your reflex to disagree with everything I write, especially as it relates to journalism, is really fascinating.

Nothing you just wrote contradicts a single thing I said, yet you still felt the need to clarify my post.

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

1) Where did I mention you at all?

2) You're not a journalist. You never have been. Why would anyone listen to what you have to say about journalism?

I am a journalist and have been a journalism educator. When I post to the JTO board, I do so with the knowledge that we have many posters/lurkers who are students or just starting their careers. I try to provide the perspective of someone in the business and someone who has been a hiring editor.

Jim Romenesko's blog was a game-changer, in many ways. I'm sure there are young writers today who have an idea that could also put them in that category. But based on the odds and the personal objective (i.e. "start something new" versus "get a job"), most young writers aren't going to be "the next Romenesko" and we shouldn't feed that illusion.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I just want to write. About sports. That's all. (I'm not going to turn down an offer to broadcast, though.)

4. YankeeFan

Cool story.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

OK. Done? Great.

Back to the thread topic, I hope.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Looking at another thread the OP started, a Bleacher Report blog will not get you a job.

7. YankeeFan

I was thinking the same thing.

All previous advice given to this poster was wasted.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I just woke up, but I am getting the feeling Hugh Freeze is not the new coach at Ole Miss just yet? Say it ain't so!

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's the link (obviously goes to a dead page).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/957164-report-ole-miss-set-to-announce-hugh-freeze-as-head-coach-on-sunday

Report? Report is used for when you're getting it from another reporting source (hence the "report"). This should have been "source," at best.

10. imjustagirl

And here's the fun reaction:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/30051819/Ole-Miss-to-announce-Hugh-Freeze-as-the-new-head-coach.aspx

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Somehow, ijag, I'm humming "skip to something something" in my head.

But to the main revelation on that thread: Brian Griese does TV? He can't be good.

12. imjustagirl

Draft saved Draft deleted