1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Camera recommendation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Not knowing anything about your situation, I use a 55-300 lens indoors and it's yet to fail me, even in some pretty dungeon-like lighting conditions.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

You guys would make great teachers. Because they never pay for anything out of pocket.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You want to blow your money on something for work, by all means be my guest. Not me pal.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The focal length of the lens isn't what determines how it shoots indoors. It's the speed of the lens, or the aperture. He said something about an f 5.6 lens. That is not going to be able to shoot action in low light. It is going to struggle to shoot action outdoors. Does your 55-300 lens have a lower minimum f number?

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I should amend my original comment to mention I bought most of my camera gear when I was freelancing. When I bought D1H bodies while working at my previous shop, my boss reimbursed me since I used those bodies for work only.
    I'm not totally sure from the OP if he's being asked to provide his own equipment or if he has access to a paper's equipment. If the former, I say go cheaper. If anyone complains, just say you're doing the best you can with a limited budget. If you have access to a paper's equipment and it's 55-200 level glass, I would first ask if the boss would be willing to spring for a 50/1.8 lens. I think they have an AF-S version now which should help with the somewhat slow focusing of the non AF-S version, but if not, you should be able to pick up a non AF-S version for about $100. I would prefer using my 85/1.8 (more reach, faster focusing), but that's probably going to be $300+ for a pretty used sample. If you're given 55-200 glass and that's all you're getting, my next step would be to check the state's athletics association rules about shooting with flash. In my state flash is allowed, but even if that's the case it's always a good idea to chat with the game refs before the action gets started.

SFIND likes this.
  6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Lowest it goes is 4-4.5 range

7. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

A. If an assigning editor wants you to have a nice camera to shoot with, then they should supply it. They can't expect a writer to go buy that on their own with the peanuts they're making. Otherwise, like someone said earlier, they should hire freelance photogs who have the equipment.

B. If you do decide to purchase camera/lens set ... be sure to keep the receipts to write it off for tax purposes. Also, use the camera to your best advantage and use it to make extra money on the side (weddings, school photos, etc) to try to make up the cash and start an enterprise business on the side

Draft saved Draft deleted