1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton thinks female reporter talking routes is 'funny'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Poor little Cam couldn’t bring himself to sit there and answer a few questions, like seemingly every other player does after soul-crushing losses on the big stage.

One of these days he might be able to put his big-boy pants on.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't remember a single thing Russell Wilson has ever said in any of his ultra-polite and mutually respectful media briefings.

This Newton one was a win for everybody. Cam got to make whatever point he thinks he was making, and the reporters got a jumping-off point to what's in his head, far more than they would have if he had mumbled through a cliche response. That Freeman column was a perfect example -- it sounded wacky based on the headline, but I read it and thought, huh, maybe there is something there and his legs aren't doing what they used to and he can't transition.

If reporters felt disrespected, did they do anything with it? Who found a compelling angle?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. Agreed, but sometimes they are unprofessional, and it's OK to say it and write it without getting into a lengthy rights debate or automatically excusing the athlete in question.

2. Agreed.

3. No they usually don't forget it. They comment on it. Which is part of what the media does. Comment on things. This is not the same as "forgetting."

4. Yes, they do care. They may enjoy an athlete shitting on the media, they may hate when an athlete does it, but they do care. We have to stop saying they don't. Media blowups get traffic. When Hal McRae tossed a phone around the room, do we really think the city of Kansas City went "meh?" Of course not.

5. OK.

6. No one kicked the kid out, although, if the owner didn't want the kid there, the kid wouldn't be there, just as Yankees players aren't allowed to have beards. I called it unprofessional. Which, it was.

7. Journalists write these stories on a daily basis without rancor or revenge. This is obvious, and wasn't in question.

8. Neat line.

9. OK.

10. Since journalists tend to be flawed like other human beings, it's common for questions to, well, outright suck. It happens.

4. SnarkShark

I don't deny that him acting like a child can be useful from a media perspective. My point is that he is acting childish. I don't understand why some are so eager to rush to his defense on that point.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's the times. Reporters respect their own craft less and are more enthralled with celebrity athletes than ever.

bpoindexter, Doc Holliday and QYFW like this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Why I thought the McCaffrey pick wouldn't work.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nobody has challenged that.

9. SnarkShark

That's not what this is? I mean, I guess you're not explicitly defending him being childish, but...

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not the slightest bit. Why do you care?

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

"Why do you care?"

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'll stand with you on every one but that one. Any thought that media/athlete drama riles up the fan base presumes that the fans care about the media, which they do not.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted