1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton thinks female reporter talking routes is 'funny'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad I'm not in management on this one, though I'd love to hear the discussion. While I'm not calling for her head, I thought the column that did so made some good points. This will be interesting to follow.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm still curious as to what one would do on a college beat in his/her first year out of college that would make moving up to an NFL beat for a major daily a no-brainer. Note that I'm not questioning that that's what happened: I just wanna know how it happened.

Tweener likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think America lost its collective mind over Cam. But if this woman loses her job in the aftermath of Cam, that's really pretty abhorrent. Two different matters? Don't care. She was doing her job, was shoved into the middle of a shitstorm, and then ...

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Every one of her work tweets was just getting killed in the replies. And it seemed like she liked engaging with fans by those means, so she was reading through replies.

I'd slow down too.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd say it depends on whether there is any difference in the way she is treated by players. That, and only that, truly affects whether job performance will suffer.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You genuinely think she was like "Yes! I love racism, and my dad is right on here! This is an example of why he's the BEST — his racist views."

Think about that for a sec. Really? What's more likely, that she was openly being a Nazi, or that she was a stupid and naive college kid trying to be sarcastic back when her only followers were a bunch of other Arizona State friends?

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Riptide and Double Down like this.
  8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Here was her farewell column from that beat. Maybe it's just me, but some of the stories she's referencing sound like more than your typical first-year-out-of-college reporting.

A fond farewell

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the hyperbole on her next farewell column.

10. BTExpress

All Nazis are racists. But not all racists are Nazis.

11. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What do you think Jourdan Rodrigue will be doing one year from now:

1. Same job.

2. Better job at same paper.

3. Better job elsewhere.

4. Out of the profession.

12. BTExpress

2. is impossible unless Joe Person moves elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted