1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton thinks female reporter talking routes is 'funny'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My first day back at work after leaving sportswriting, I stood over a cylindrical grinder for 10 hours in a hot, noisy machine shop. It was miserable, aggravating work ... and I was blissfully happy.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yet it's the best of the pro beats, as far as having some semblance of a normal life. Ten road games (+ playoffs) a year in short trips, rest of your schedule is mostly daytime hours during the week. Now crank it up to NHL/NBA levels of travel, games and hours. Then all the way up to MLB, where you're most likely to end up single forever, divorced or in one of those marriages where you need constant separation to avoid divorce. Some sort of addiction is likely to accompany it, along with a deep dive into profanity at inappropriate times.

Tweener and Alma like this.
  3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

From that link: "Cam Newton, who is on Forbeslist of the world’s richest athletes, is the quarterback for the Carolina Panthers."

Just how long is that list?

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It ends with this guy:

[​IMG]

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He ranks seventh in the world according to them.

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Made me think of my workplace, where several co-workers make $70K and more. They're veteran copy editors and designers who have been there at least 15 years and were hired when the company was making money hand over fist (those of us brought in five years ago are getting a lot less). You'd think this would make them vulnerable to cost-cutting, but they all survived the last round of layoffs because HR supposedly used a formula that placed a high value on seniority in deciding who stayed. With a major reorganization pending, one of the big questions is whether the big salaries survive again.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Exactly what I've done. Thank you.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

LOL. He might not be the 7th richest player in the NFC South.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It did seem surprising, but I don't know how much money there is in yogurt.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It seems that List was actually saying "highest paid in 2016" which, eh, maybe. But the idea that he'd be the 7th highest paid athlete in a world that includes soccer players, Formula 1 drivers, baseball players and NBA players making 30 million per, seems dubious to me.

Just in the NFC South, believe he has a smaller base contract than Rodgers, Brees and Ryan, and he would likely have less overall wealth than Julius Peppers and Adrian Peterson if they've saved any of their money from a decade in the league (no personal life judgments!). His guarantee was something like $60 million (I think) but he's in the third year of that deal, meaning he's received about half that.

It's not like Newton has a big national ad campaign that would make up the difference between him and Ronaldo, Federer, LeBron, Rodgers, Curry, etc.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Something seems very much off with that list. Not one baseball player in the top 15?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Jacquizz?

studthug12 and Gator like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted