1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton or Michael Vick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 27, 2011.

?

Who would you draft?

1. Cam Newton

33.3%
  2. Michael Vick

66.7%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If Michael Vick and Cam Newton were both in this draft, who would you take?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Newton, for me.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

College Vick or current Vick?

4. Boom_70

College Vick

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

Damn. Tough call.

As much as it pains me to say it -- because Vick is THE GREATEST HUMAN BEING SLASH FOOTBALL PLAYER ON THE PLANET!!!!! -- I'd take Newton. Vick took more snaps from center, I suppose, but Newton's size works to his advantage.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anyone who doesn't say Vick is brain-dead.

If anyone in the NFL thought Newton even had a chance to be as good as Vick, Carolina would be entertaining offers from five different teams for the pick.

Vick is a once-in-a-lifetime player, who still didn't live up to the hype, but was a serious MVP candidate last year after not playing for two seasons.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think Vick's legal issues have clouded some of your brains. He was a can't-miss prospect. Nobody was worried about taking Vick with the No. 1 pick in that draft.

8. Boom_70

Might be a tad harsh but can't say I don't agree. Newton will not be able to avoid pass rush like Vick can. Newton is a semi and Vick is a sports car.

9. JackReacher

I don't think it's as much of a no-brainer as you're making it seem. That being said, I'm not sure I disagree with you, either. Vick was definitely the most pro-ready of the two, but Newton's upside -- UPSIDE!!!! :) -- is hard to ignore. If he DOES make it, he'll make it HUGE. Bigger than Vick.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great question.

Vick, but it is really hard to say no to Newton's size.

11. Mizzougrad96

Newton has better size. So did JaMarcus Russell.

I think Newton will be a good pro who has the chance to be great.

There was never any question that Vick was going to be great. He might have been the biggest no-brainer No. 1 pick of the last 20 years.

12. Mizzougrad96

If another team offers Carolina next year's No. 1 and a third-rounder to move down four spots in the draft, maybe this is a discussion. That's what San Diego got for the No. 1 pick that year.

There has been no indication (at this point) that any team is interested in moving up to take Newton.

That doesn't mean he's not going to be great. It just means teams are nowhere close as sold on Newton as they were on Vick.

Draft saved Draft deleted