1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam and "adversity"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Jan 11, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think he ever was in the top 10. That was always just writers guessing. Even before the bowl, there were plenty of lists from the draft "experts" (still not reliable, I know that) putting him at the bottom of a four-man group including Luck, Gabbert and Mallett. Then Monday night he looked more like Tebow than ever.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fine, he faces the consequences. That doesn't mean he has to feel guilty about anything at Auburn, except getting caught.

The NCAA would be able to claim the high moral ground, if they actually practiced what they preach about amateur athletics. They don't.

3. highlander

highlander Member

And telling him not to answer question about how he felt seeing his father after the game.

4. highlander

highlander Member

I hope you aren't saying that Newton is a victim of the NCAA? If you are sheesh.

5. Baron Scicluna

A victim? No. The NCAA has rules. Newton, through his father, was accused of breaking one. Newton was trying to make a business deal, which the NCAA prefers to reserve for themselves.

But the NCAA still clings to this Avery Brundage-like ideal of the purity of the amateur athlete. Or at least, they give the lip-service to it. And they try to make any athlete look like they deserve a scarlet letter if they break any of their rules, even the ridiculous ones.

Look at Pryor and his teammates. They were actually forced to apologize for selling their stuff. All they should have said is, "Yeah, we got caught breaking a rule that we didn't know we were supposed to follow (although that, I don't believe). We are following their punishment, even though we don't agree with it and are appealing."

They had nothing to be sorry for, either.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just like Tebow, there will be one coach who falls in love with him and drafts him.

I could see Marvin Lewis taking him, but the Bengals are picking too high. Maybe the Vikings or Jaguars.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He's a top 10 pick. Lock.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would have agreed with that a week ago. I'm not so convinced anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. highlander

highlander Member

Okay so no one can do anything wrong, even when they break the established rules. Gotcha. Everyone you mentioned knew what they were doing was wrong. The guy I feel sorry for is Dez Bryant. Because he didn't play for a high-profile team that was playing in a BCS bowl. So the NCAA cracked down on him.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Adversity" is a word you generally hear from TV clowns who aren't smart enough to come up with a better storyline.

11. Baron Scicluna

What they did wasn't necessarily wrong. It was against the rules. That's the difference.

Most people would say that stealing is wrong. But what if it's a loaf of bread to feed your starving family? Would you consider that wrong? Against the law? Sure. Wrong? That's up to each individual person.

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

He would be a perfect fit for the Bungals...that would be fantastic...Newton, Ocho, TO...what a team.

And yes, I agree with the no conscious thing...he's been well-programmed the last couple months to say all the right things and avoid any real questions. Another extreme case of the coddled athlete who will flame out in the NFL...see Akili Smith.

Draft saved Draft deleted