1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling when ad says "no calls please"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, Jul 25, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Love your work, shockey. Love your work.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Maybe you haven't paid attention to the jobs board lately. Take that one call, multiply it by ... say, 100. That's what somebody like Cosmo was facing.

If it says don't call, don't fucking call. It's that simple.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

wow. 100 30-second calls. that's 50 minutes. what a burden. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. 2muchcoffeeman

It's 100 phone calls. Let's see you deal with 100 phone calls about one topic that you haven't made a decision on over the course of one or two eight-hour shifts. Add that to the other stuff needed to run a daily sports section with a small staff where you're also expected to be one of the writers as well as the guy who lays out all the pages, deals with all the administrivia of being the boss and also goes online to select all the wire photos. Oh, you have a daily editorial meeting to discuss your budget for the next day's paper. It's an hour, even though you only need to be there for all of 30 seconds to tell your bosses what's going to be in the section tomorrow and what you'd like teased on 1A.

That 50 minutes doesn't exist, not even over a week's worth of work time. If you think it does, you've never been put into a position with that much responsibility.

If the ad says "don't call" and you call, kiss your chances of getting that job goodbye. Try e-mail instead.

Stop being a troll. We already have one of those on this thread. (Newbies: dyepack is trying to make trouble for you. It's his idea of a good time.)

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Really, this is about 3.5 pages more debate than there should be on this issue. You follow what they say and DO NOT call.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Unless it's really important.

7. This is BS and not good advice. You've got to ask yourself, "What do I have to lose?" Once you get there, then come to the understanding that "No calls" probably means "Who wants it bad enough to call." In getting any job you've got to sell yourself, so start selling. If the hiring manager/editor says, "The ad says no calls and it means no calls," you have two options. If the hiring manager hangs up on you, you probably don't want the job anyway as that individual sounds like a shitty manager. More importantly, the manager may stay on the line to understand what your response will be. In other words, how will you react under pressure? If locality is an issue, be persistent with the asshole that hung up on you. Persistence pays off....no doubt. Just be prepared to work under a pissed off/miserable individual.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Trolling_as_identity_deception

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_sock_puppet

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking, I don't think I would put out a "no calls" ad, but if I did and you call me, your shit is going straight into the can. I don't care how good your clips are. I don't care if you won a Pulitzer. I see what your opinion of me would be for that response, but understand I would have formed my opinion of you. Let's see: Two assholes, two opinions but only one that matters. I would have nobody working on my staff that couldn't follow simple instruction (just like my ME should expect) and "No Calls" is about as simple as it gets.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well put.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Sweet God, that's the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

If an ad says, "No phone calls," I take it to mean that the hiring editor DOES NOT WANT TO RECEIVE A PHONE CALL.

E-mail the editor. It's quick and easy, and it allows the editor to reply when it's convenient for him or her.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Some great techniques described at those sites. It's always good to acquire more knowledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted