1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling when ad says "no calls please"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, Jul 25, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

So what's the deal on that? If you have sent in your resume and clips, is it OK a week later to call and ask the editor if the package arrived safe and sound?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I would say no, but then I've never placed an ad like that. You should have sent your stuff return receipt at the very least...

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Ever heard of e-mail? This is why Al Gore invented the Internet.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Nope. If the ad says "no calls" chances are it means no calls. Just like that "no pets" thing when you go look for rentals.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

what part of "no" don't you understand?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ogre, when I was in a position to hire, I put "no calls, please" on the job ads because I didn't want to be bombarded with 100 calls from people asking if their stuff got to me when I had other things to worry about, like fighting about my travel budget or putting the section together.

Drop a quick e-mail. The SE can get back to you at his convenience. Nothing worse than calling an SE catching him at a really, really bad time, especially when it says "no calls" on the ad. In fact, you very well could knock yourself out of the running because you don't know how to follow directions.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One word... email...

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm happy when the ad says "no calls". So much easier and less awkward.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Receiving a call when the ad says "no calls" would indicate to me that the applicant has problems following directions.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sounds to me like it's just a suggestion or a request.

If you have a really important question like that one, you should call.

12. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

No means no, unless, you know, she's into that (only with her consent, of course).

Draft saved Draft deleted