1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling bowling experts ... is this a 300 or not?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 23, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That reminds me of setting up an alley in my childhood hallway made up of 10 milk cartons and rolling a small ball (tennis ball?). Good times.

I'm that lawn guy but I'd say going to the bowling alley was more fun than sitting at home gaming. (My kids would laugh at me.)

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I may have shared this here before, but I was in bowling leagues from mid teens to early 20s. I wasn't very good, but my best friend was so we won some trophies.

When we were 16 or 17, we were in a league that bowled Saturday mornings. One of us got a job and couldn't bowl then, so we would pre bowl, meaning, we would bowl our three games on Wednesday and they would be compared to what our opponents did on Saturday. This was well before electronic scorings, so we would mark our scorecard and turn it in. We didn't fudge our scores, but we would group them for the best team scores. So if I happened to bowl a 170 in the same game where my friend had a 210, we would paid my 170 with the 180 he had in another game and pair his 210 with my 127, mixing in our teammate as well for maximum scores.

We ended up tying for first place and were supposed to have a bowl off with the other team, that was better, but that never happened so we all got first-place trophies. Not proud of it now, but we were teenagers.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I played league darts, reached the top level in Southern California and played against all the top English players when they came over every summer. A friend asked if I had my own darts. Of course I do, do you have your own bowling ball? He said yes. I said the difference was, I could practice every day at home. He couldn't do that with bowling.

maumann and MTM like this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

There's a good darts scene in last week's episode of Ted Lasso on Apple TV.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted