1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all Star Wars geeks!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have my daughter home sick today, and we just finished watching "When Star Wars Ruled the World" on VH1. Actually, she watched most of it, I caught the last ten minutes.

At the end of the show, they mentioned the recent three movies -- Attack of the Clones and the other two.

Six movies total in the series.

HOWEVER! I seem to remember back in the 80s, reading and seeings stories about Star Wars where George Lucas said there were actually NINE acts to his space play. The first three were supposed to be about Luke and Leia's parents, the middle three about Luke and Leia, then the last three were supposed to be about Luke's kids and Leia's kids.

Am I the only one who remembers this?? ???

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Getting geeky... Luke and Leia are brother and sister. If they make three movies about them having kids, it would be really really creepy.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Clarified the post.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There are nine parts to the original story.

Lucas has said he will not make the final three.

They get pretty weird, from what I heard. Remember the chloridian stuff with anakin's blood in Phantom Menace?

That becomes important later, as I believe future rebel forces try to clone Luke or something.

Perhaps a bigger geek than me can enlighten further.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm not a Star Wars geek, but I used to live with one.

There is a whole universe out there. The movies are just a small part of it. There are multiple series of books that carry on the story, both pre- and post-trilogies. There are also sequential comic books, plus a Cartoon Network miniseries that bridged the gap between the two most recent movies.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, they explain shit like General Grievous.

I didn't want to study to go see a fucking action flick, though.

But the last movie was bad-ass, so you have to give that to Lucas. Money-grubbing prick that he is.

7. So if Lucas isn't doing the final three, is anyone going to make 'em?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Lee could fill in the Grievous stuff more fully. Grievous' ship was shot down. He thinks it was the Jedi, explaining his irrational hatred for them. In reality it was the emperor/Palpatine.

Some of the books are pretty damned good, some of them are shit. I haven't read all of them, at least not yet. Personally, I don't think they're necessary. Although reading the ones that take place in between the movies do give some insight.

And I sound like a total and complete dork now. I'm going to go back to bed and hide.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There's been numerous debates about that very thing Hippo. Unfortunately, I don't know if I've ever heard the true answer to that question. If a Star Wars movie is made without the George Lucas hand behind it (assuming he were to free up the franchise), would it be better than one of his vehicles?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Remember that both Empire and Jedi were written (OK the screenplay was) and directed by other people. And both of them (well other than the Ewoks) are better movies than the rest of the series (I am willing to entertain debate on Sith being better than Jedi, however).

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The thing about Star Wars is everything is supposed to be "in continuity" and approved by Lucas (or his people)... comic books, tv shows, movies, etc.

Of course, the more you read and watch, the more holes you find. Freak that I am, I've read a bunch of the books and there are plot holes you could fly a Death Star through.

The 9 parts is kind of a legend, from what I remember. Lucas had it in his head, but he'd never really fleshed out the last three installments. Just as he fleshed out the stories that have made it to the screen as he wrote the scripts.

The books are fun for the truly geeky. There is stuff like Luke rebuilding the Jedi order. Han and Leia's kids becoming Jedi. Luke marries a reformed associate of the Emperor's (no more no love for the Jedi)

Yeah, I'm scaring myself. Truth is, best to just enjoy the movies (and the books if you care to take that extra step into geek-dom) and don't even try to figure it all out.

And sportschick, I knew I liked you for some reason....didn't realize it was shared geekiness....you actually out-geeked me on the Greivous stuff.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I just visited Skywalker Ranch the other day and interviewed someone in the know...don't want to let too much out of the bag, but I can say that the Star Wars saga as a movie is over BUT it will live on in a long-form TV series that Lucasfilm plans to produce for more than 100 episodes at a quality level never before seen in the TV medium. It's in the show that the back story will all be explained and developed.

Draft saved Draft deleted