1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all Canucks!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Nov 30, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Ok, the CRTC and the "experts" are at it again. And, as usual, they're pissing me off.

http://technology.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/HDTV+a+threat+to+Canadian+culture+critics+warn/NewsandTrends/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=hdtv-canada&feedname=CBC-TECH-SCIENCE&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc

Like, can someone PLEASE explain to me what our "Canadian culture" is. Is it our stereotyped love for back bacon, beer, maple syrup and poutine? Our outdated use of sled dogs and snowmobiles? Is it our bi-lingualism? Or is it something I really can't put my finger on. What is so goddamn special about being Canadian that we can't have HDTV in this country!? What harm is there in MAKING OUR CHOICES? We're a democtatic nation, but we can't choose what to read, what to watch or what to listen too. Too much American music, TV or print is bad, so it's hijacked before it gets across the border. It's a joke.

I could rant on and on and on, but I won't.

I'll leave you with this: The father of a friend of mine once said "Canadians would have more identity if they stopped worrying about their identity."

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Okay, so their theory is that if the CRTC goes the same route as its American brethren, smaller Canadian networks won't be able to switch to HDTV by 2009 and just go out of business? And we'll have less Canadian content as a result?

The date hasn't been set. This is all speculation. Two profs with a book to sell. Nothing more. Hell, aside from the lead was there anything in that story to suggest our culture is being hijacked?

I think the bigger issue is what's going to happen with the CBC. Funny, that part of the story is pretty much covered up by the pitch from the U of C folks. You'll also note that the only quote here is from CBC Arts Online.

Personally I think the CBC has value, as it can do things no other network can. A huge budget will do that for you. The series on Trudeau, the recent one on hockey, The Hour and a bunch of other projects are ones I'm glad were/are publicly funded.

There are a lot of people who think it should just be scrapped, thus the CBC's defensive stance.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can guarantee you this will not end well.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone seen Big Dog?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Omigod, the ad on this page is for Supergoo!

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sosueme is slightly overreacting.

I don't have a problem in general with the CRTC or Cancon. It was the latter that helped develop our homegrown musical talent--whatever you might think of it.

Government subsidies to the book publishing industry have helped to develop novelists that are recognized around the world.

The CBC--remember it's the only link to the outside world for a lot of northern communities--does a lot more than just carry Hockey Night in Canada. Their documentary programming such as Fifth Estate and the Passionate Eye are first rate and you won't find anything like them on our "commercial" networks. And don't forget CBC radio.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Agreed. But who are they to tell me I HAVE to listen to a specific amount of Canadians in any given hour? Allow the FREE MARKET to decide if the music/television programming is worth listening to and watching. Don't mandate it. That's my biggest beef with the CRTC and Cancon.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

SoSueMe.....why do you hate Canada?

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

For the many, many reasons mentioned above. And, I don't hate (although, I knew I'd be accused of that), I'd just rather be somewhere else sometimes.

And it's not even that, it's just all these rules to protect ourselves from Big Bad America. What is so wrong with America? And it's culture? (okay, I know, l opened the floodgates).

But honestly, I've been A LOT of places in the States, and I'd stay if I could.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Nothing wrong with not liking something about where you live. I disagree, mind you, as I'm quite happy living north of the 49th.

What's keeping you from leaving?

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

A working visa.

A NAFTA pact that threw out "creative writing, journalism, writers, et. al" at the last minute because the Canadian Association of Journalists lobbied (read: threw money at) the Canadian government at the time (Mulroney) to have all those taken out of the agreement, in order to "protect our culture."

So, in short, unless I can do a job in America better than an American can do it, I'll continue working in Canada.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I used to think the same thing. Then some diligent family research led to this:

[​IMG]

Which has led to this:

[​IMG]

Which will lead to this, any time I feel like it:

[​IMG]

My advice: delve into your family background. You never know!

Draft saved Draft deleted