1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Call to boycott StubHub!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sports scrub, Jun 7, 2007.

1. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

I am a Pittsburgh native now living in New Jersey just outside of Trenton. As much as it embarrasses me to say it, I am a Pittsburgh Pirates fan.

I'm off Saturday so I went onto StubHub on Monday and purchased four tickets to the Pirates-Yankees game at Yankee Stadium. The reason I bought them Monday was because I knew there was a good chance Clemens was going to pitch Sat. and the prices would skyrocket. Anyway, I got the four tickets for about $40 each in the outfield bleachers and was all set.

Today I got an email from StubHub telling me to call customer service immediately. Apparently, whoever listed the tickets I purchased decided not to sell them and completely screwed me over. Now, the cheapest 4-ticket group is $85 a ticket plus shipping and commission. StubHub refused to waive any fees or give me four tickets for what I paid. Being a lowly sports reporter I can't afford to go to the game now.

With that I call for any and all to boycott StubHub and its shady operation. Please send out the word to all your friends and help hurt this piece of shit organization's bottom line.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

How many people did you talk to with customer service?

3. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

three including two different managers

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Without knowing the StubHub contract terms, etc., it sounds to me like a buyer beware situation.

And other than refunding your purchase, I'm not sure how StubHub can acquire equivalent tickets out of mid-air to make up for the tickets you had, aren't they just the middle man for the ticket seller?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seems to me if the person decided to sell you the tickets, they entered into a contract and shouldn't be able to back out.
    I have had problems with stubhub before. It is a bullshit site, though the handling fees on all MLB tickets is bullshit.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

You were short two. Talk long enough and loud enough and you'll get your money back.

7. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

I got a refund and believe me, i talked very loud , but what i was looking for was four tickets for what I paid ... the amount of money that site makes, you would think it would take a financial hit like that to have a good reputation, all it would have to do is get the least expensive four ticket grouping, charge me what I paid and cover the rest ... to me that is the only fair solution

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

http://www.stubhub.com/fanprotect-guarantee-legal

Seems to me you didn't receive the same or better tickets the seller promised in the purchase. Stubhub site says it will give you tickets that you purchased or refund the cost of tickets, service fees and S&H.

9. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

what pisses me off the most is that is the only game during the series that I could get to, now how long am i going to have to wait to go to a Pirates game at Yankee stadium? like four years?

10. The line of people who got screwed by Stub-Hub forms to the left. And fact my $432 Redskins-Colts fiasco last year, I'm butting in line towards the front.

11. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

sounds like a good story ... do tell

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

he got just what the site promised.

sites like stubhub (and ebay and amazon and a whole of others) just rely on the honesty of individuals. it sucks for you but there is nothing they can do. stubhub is a middleman.

Draft saved Draft deleted