1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California to lay off 20,000

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I have no idea where you live, Tiger Volunteer, but I imagine it isn't California. As if any budget, or any bill, that California passes could stem the tide?

Republicans don't hold enough sway here to truly set priorities, and many of their attempts to change policy just end up wasting time with no change in the end result. As for Arnold, he is a centrist obsessed with popular opinion, with no real party loyalty, and no real compulsion to lead or take responsibility for failures.

Regardless of party, hard times are in store, and neither party will solve them or take responsibility for them. Only market forces and the federal printing press will play a positive role.

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Best thing that happened to this state in 10 years was the redistricting ballot initiative passed in November.

Gerrymandering is the root of all of California's political evil...I have become convinced of that in my time here.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Schwarzenegger thought his Cult of Personality would be enough to make state legislators pull their heads out and say, "Gee, maybe we really should figure out a budget. You know, so the whole damn state doesn't get screwed."

Honest mistake, really. Doesn't everyone running for governor think - or at least say - they can move the legislature? Let's watch the next election, and find out, shall we? And then like Davis and like Schwarzenegger, their hands will be tied by this group as well.

GoochMan's point about Gerrymandering is correct. The state house is full of fat cats who simply don't give a shit, because they don't have to.

I guess it's easy to blame Republicans for this; there's a lot of that going around. Forcing out their minority leader wasn't a mistake as far as they're concerned; there are still a lot of people who say "Save us! I mean, don't ask ME to contribute! Just save us!" Refusing to raise taxes, sadly, won't hurt anyone's ability to get re-elected.

At this point, I want the whole lot of them to be voted out and replaced with people who attempt to decide on budgets before dire times.

Draft saved Draft deleted