1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California to lay off 20,000

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090217/ap_on_bi_ge/california_budget

All remaining public works projects are also on hold, putting thousands of construction workers into the unemployment lines. Brilliant.

Hey Ahhhh-nuld? Remember how you got elected in the first place? That's good, because California's current budget deficit is worse than the one you inherited.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What do you think Arnold should have done differently?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Shot the budget in the head and then said, "Consider this a divorce."

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The problem is that there's nothing he could've done differently, but he disingenuously said that he could when he first ran for governor. The problem lies with the way budgets are approved in California.

Interesting that one of his moves now is to increase the vehicle tax, which of course was what they used against Davis to get him recalled.

5. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

So maybe a former action movie actor wasn't the best choice for Governor?

Anyway, don't blame me I voted for Gay Coleman.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As noted in the post above, there is no better, or "good" choice. This state is fucked regardless of who the governor is.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

There's money in air production for Martians! That's where he should have taken the state's economy. Get your ass to Mars!

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Absolutely! He went in, snowing people (and himself, first and foremost) into believing he could go in there and bully everyone into doing things his way or else he'd pick up their desks and hurl them across Sactucky.

With that said, I don't really blame him for anything or harbor any will one way or the other. OTOH, I also don't see someone like Meg Whitman coming in and being an agent of change, either.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gay Coleman?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whachoo talkin' about, Slappy!?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

12. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Spellcheck didn't catch it!

Anyway, maybe in 2010 we'll go with another washed up action star like Jean Claude Van Damm (sp?) or Ivan Drago.

Draft saved Draft deleted