1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal-UCLA and Pac-10 refs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Mar 8, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Does anyone know the NCAA D-I rules? I thought I've heard that you can't shoot the ball over the backboard (as Shipp did for his game winner)?

Also, the lack of a foul call when the Cal player got double-teamed and hacked? After the Thursday night debacle when the ref DIDN'T swallow his whistle and called a foul, the refs SWALLOWED their whistles and missed an obvious foul.

I think the Pac-10 has the worst officiating _ football AND basketball of the major conferences.

2. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Ball can go over the backboard. Its fine unless it touches something back there.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe the shooting the ball over the backboard rule was changed. I don't see anything about it in the current rulebook, unless I'm looking in the wrong areas.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2007/2007_m_w_basketball_rules.pdf

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Just talked to a former coach and TV analyst I know. He says that if the shot comes from behind the backboard and goes over the backboard, it does not count. That's the way I saw it.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

This is absolutely correct. Ryan Anderson should have been shooting foul shots prior, and UCLA should have been T'd up on the inbounds tip, but the shot was the one legitimate thing that happened those last few seconds. By the way, I am NOT a Cal alum or fanboi :D

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think it used to be a rule.
    On the Larry Bird homage video, it shows him making a shot from behind the backdoor and it is waved off.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

What once was no good, is now good.

BTW- I love the hell out of those NBA "Fantastic" commercials.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

UCLA is developing bad karma at a bad time. Those guys might not get some calls for a while.

Then again, if they're playing a PAC-10 game ... they'll always get the calls.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's the one I was talking about.
    I believe that is the game he scored 60 in.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

A ball can touch the top of the backboard. I have seen balls hit the top of the backboard and go in.

The ball can not touch a support or wire behind the backboard. That would cause a dead ball.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Rule 7, Section 1, Article 3:
    "The ball shall be out of bounds when it passes over the backboard
    from any direction."

According to Gottlieb on the ESPN studio show, ball should have been out of bounds to Cal, the shot no good.

And, no, I am not a Cal fan boy.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

UCLA is so overrated it hurts. if this team gets out of the sweet 16, i'll do edward fourty-hands with night train.

UCLA hoops '08 = florida football '07. ignore the media jackassery and things just ain't as they seem.

Draft saved Draft deleted