1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal reinstates three sports, but not baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Feb 11, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

California (the state, that is) has so much baseball talent kicking around that's not scooped up by the Pac-10, the Big West is one of the most competitive mid-majors out there. CS Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine, Cal Poly and UC Davis can hold their own with Pac-10 schools.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Not only that, but you have four BCS conference schools in a population of 37 million. By comparison, Alabama has two in a population of 4.7 million and Mississippi has two in a population of just under 3 millions. That's neighboring states with a total population of just about 7.7 million and they have four BCS schools, the same number California has with a population of 37 million.

So yeah, there ought to be plenty of players left over once USC, UCLA and Stanford get their fill. And heck, with Cal dropping baseball, that's just three BCS-league programs for that huge state.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I bet men's frisbee golf would have made the cut.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Berkeley hippies are more the violent sort. They prefer things like breaking into the university's president's office with a machete.

5. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

When it comes to the sport of baseball, there's nothing remotely "small" about Fullerton. In the 36 years of playing Division I, the Titans have made 32 NCAA appearances, with 16 trips to the College World Series trips, and won four national championships. They don't take a back seat to any school in the PAC-10.

6. HanSenSE

Here's an interesting thought: NCAA rules allow athletes at programs being shut down to transfer to another D-I school without having to sit out a year. How many Cal players will transfer to Stanford?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In baseball? Everyone playing at Cal was already rejected by Stanford.

8. HanSenSE

Good one.

Should add to the mix of Cali schools playing baseball WAC members Fresno State (2008 CWS champs), San Jose State (2000 CWS qualifier) and associate member Sac State; not to forget San Diego State in the Mountain West, coached by Tony Gwynn. The WCC has fielded strong teams of late as well. Hawaii will join the Big West for baseball in a couple of years as well.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Please. At Cal you can get an equally good, if not superior, education at about 1/3 the price.

10. LongTimeListener

And play shitty baseball. Take everyone on the Cal roster right now and I guaranfuckingtee you they would have jumped at the chance to play at Stanford, because Stanford has the pick of the litter in baseball. I will be shocked beyond belief if even one player makes that move.

11. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Cal made the NCAA tournament last season and is ranked No. 17 in Baseball America's preseason Top 25. Stanford is No. 13. So, sure, nobody from Cal could possibly be good enough to play for Stanford.

12. LongTimeListener

My point is when those players were coming out of high school, they went to Cal because they weren't getting sniffs or couldn't get admitted at Stanford. Also Stanford is notoriously unwilling to accept transfers. So, it's not like Stanford is going to throw three juniors off its team and take three juniors from Cal because they might have gotten better in the ensuing three years since recruitment.

As I said, I'll be shocked if even one player makes such a transfer. By all means, alert me to let me know I'm wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted