1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal Poly Crash 50 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been (mostly) good since I joined FanHouse. I love the place, love the people. I'm having a blast. I pump the site as much as possible on my Facebook page and I've even created one for our college football coverage - NCAAFB FanHouse please check it out and click like.

I've tried not to bombard everyone here with stuff, but one of my crew, John Walters, did a story today on the 50th anniversary of the Cal Poly plane crash. I didn't know much about the crash before. I suspect most on here weren't yet born.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/10/29/fifty-years-later-plenty-of-pain-lingers-from-cal-poly-plane-cr/

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Great story. Great ending line.

And, Moddy, you never have to apologize for or justify linking a story from FanHouse here. You have near-universal respect here. To those you don't have it from, f**k 'em.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We've been very fortunate not to have had a major team crash since the Oklahoma State one 10 years ago, and that one only killed 2 players. We had the Evansville one and the Wichita State and Marshall ones in the 1970s.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George are discussing all the sports teams that fly, and how strange it is that the planes never crash.

That was an excellent story, Moddy.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff. And Diane Pucin in the L.A. Times also did a very good story on the anniversary.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cal-poly-crash-20101029,0,5138340,full.story

And it's a pet peeve of mine, but it's Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, or Cal Poly SLO. Because there's a second Cal Poly, in Pomona.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was unfamiliar with this story and appreciated it. At one point, it gave me chills.

It's 50 years old & it also still pissed me off. Like the ND incident this week, it was entirely avoidable.

And, even before it was mentioned, I was struck by how many survivors had become coaches and/or educators.

Draft saved Draft deleted