1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caffeine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 2, 2011.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've never been a big caffeine drinker. I've never been able to drink coffee because of my anxiety issues, and even a chai is pushing it sometimes.

Soda is more of a treat for me. I'll drink two or three bottles a week, but I could go without it and could care less.

However, I do like to have a bottle if I have a headache or if my allergies are particulary bad. I find it helps.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

There has got to be some sort of medical studies on this. When I am congested, or have a headache, the coffee definitely helps.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Your nose isn't the only thing that coffee helps clear... :D

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Day five or six without a regular Diet Coke.

Still getting slight headaches.

Still feeling sluggish and unfocused.

Never dreamed the withdrawal would last this long. I figured it would be a one- or two-day battle.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Do you use that stovetop espresso maker from Bialetti? I am thinking of getting one for home use, or maybe seeing if I can pick up a used machine from craigslist.

I'm considering of moving to a couple of espresso shots a day instead of coffee.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've been using a Bialetti for about 25 years now. It doesn't brew a cup with that nice reddish-brown crema (aka foam). But it does the trick if, like me, you just want to dump down a couple shots of espresso for lift off. I usually use Cafe Bustelo.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would easily drink a pot of coffee or more during a shift BEFORE I became a father. Now I wish I could just get an IV.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a Bialetti, just cause. But unlike Cranberry, I rarely use it.

Nowadays, we don't have much time to really ENJOY coffee. We set a coffee maker at night so a few cups are waiting when we wake up (we get up really early) and then scurry about -- she right to the gym, me to work before going to the gym or for a run. On weekends, I make espresso and cappuccinos for her, sometimes, or I use the press and we sit on our roofdeck and wake up.

My espresso maker / foamer is an inexpensive model that must be about 15 years old. It was made by Krups. It is pretty much plastic with metal parts for anything important. Somehow the thing has not only held up, it does an excellent job, and cosmetically it has stayed good. Good for two shots of espresso and the frother works wonderfully. It's really surprising given how little I probably spent on it.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've been caffeine-free for just over a year now. Don't ever want to go back.

10. fkallyall

fkallyall New Member

Yeah, that's what Brad Renfro said....slippery slope my friends.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I heard he drank a lot of coffee during The Client.

In which he was fabulous, BTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted