1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cael Sanderson to coach Penn State wrestling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Apr 18, 2009.

1. I'm sure there's at least some people out there who follow high school or collegiate wrestling like I do.

This is quite a big deal in the wrestling world to have Sanderson — the only undefeated (159-0) four-time NCAA champion in history — leave his alma mater, Iowa State, to coach Penn State.

I've heard that he was offered something like a $1 million signing bonus, along with $500K a year and a share of sponsorship money, as well.

I think if Sanderson can start to get some of the best Pennsylvania talent to stay at home, Penn State could end up being one of the most dominant collegiate programs, regardless of sport. Of course, it'll take quite a bit to step in to Iowa or Oklahoma State territory.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/041709aaa.html

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A million dollars for a wrestling coach? Where's that guy who asked Calhoun if he thought he should give some money back.

3. You're right, I think it's quite wrong myself when you consider JoePa makes about $500K.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

HUGE news in the Pa. wrestling community. The two-time state champ in the next town over from here might just end up staying "home" because of this hire.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It sure didn't help this guy win anything

[​IMG]

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember a quarter century ago when Oklahoma State offered Dan Gable a rather large contract to leave Iowa and he elected to stay.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Penn State already has some of the best homegrown wrestlers, so this can only build. It's a good move in a state where wrestling is second to only football.

8. I think Penn State was sick of seeing guys going and winning national titles in other states, i.e. Jake Herbert at Northwestern and Coleman Scott at Oklahoma State in recent years.

I think if he can somehow land the Alton Brothers from Central Mountain in next year's recruiting class, that will go a long way in getting the school on his side.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If you look at the roster, they've already picked a bunch of guys from that area (Brown, Wright, etc.). Throw in Darling and Ruth -- who'll be there next year -- among other champions from around the state, and they've got a great base.

10. yeah

that would be great if they could get the Alton Brothers

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Though pricey, this is a great hire for Penn State. I'd imagine Sanderson will bring in recruits on name recognition alone.

It's also a good way to make sure some top kids don't choose WVU/Pitt over PSU. A high school classmate of mine, Greg Jones, won three national titles with the Mountaineers. If someone with Sanderson's resume had been around back then, maybe Jones and others would've stayed in state.

12. This is really a surprise. I'll bet he's pretty despised in Ames right about now.

Draft saved Draft deleted