1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cabrini-Green could be replaced by a Target

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Sale on bathroom towels! GOOD TIMES! Buying children's sandals! GOOD TIMES! Ain't we lucky there's Target... GOOD TIMES!!!!!!!!!

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.com/article/20110328/CRED03/110329888/target-in-talks-for-store-at-former-cabrini-green-site-report

Discount retailer Target Corp. is in talks with the Chicago Housing Authority to build a store at the site of a former Cabrini-Green development, according to media reports.

I'm not sure what that says that one of the nation's most notorious housing projects (RIP) could be replaced by a Target.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Couldn't be more appropriate. America's nothing more than a giant shopping mall anyways.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The logo is quite fitting for the area.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Rick Telander weeps.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yea, but shouldn't it really be a Wal-Mart? Target doesn't sell guns.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I mourn with nostalgia for the bygone days of a massive, decaying public housing project that was riddled with gang violence. Sigh.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

One of the big housing projects in New Orleans is now a Wal-Mart. And yes, it was looted for guns during Katrina.

8. Some say looting, some say availing themselves of Everyday Low Prices.

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

So if you shoplift from this store more than five times, will a man with with a hook for a hand kill you?

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Excellent.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As the board's only resident of Cabrini-Green, I suppose I should weigh in.

That's right, I live in Cabrini Green -- not the housing development obviously, but the neighborhood. There's one tall, empty, hulking building left north of Division. It should be down soon. The row houses between Division & Chicago remain. They're surrounded by nice, new townhouses and the building at 600 N. Kingsbury that houses the Big 10 network, Groupon.com, Japonais (fancy restaurant) and the David Barton Gym.

If you know Chicago, I live between Division & Chicago, and between Halsted & the River. I could hit the old housing project with a rock.

In the five years I've been here, the neighborhood's changed dramatically.

My building is on a corner. Across one street, there used to be an empty lot. It's been replaced by a new hi-rise and they're building a second tower right now. (It was always part of the plan, but it was put off for a while.) An abandoned building was across the other street. it's been torn down and replaced by the British School of Chicago, retail (an REI), doctor's offices and a parking garage. Kitty corner was an abandoned bar. (It had been the scene of a deadly shooting.) That building has been rehabbed and is now an nice bar/restaurant.

The worlds third largest Whole Foods opened a block west of me. (Right across from VIP's -- the strip club, quite a juxtaposition.)

An Apple Store replaced a gas station, and a fancy burger joint and a fancy pizza joint opened up across form the Apple Store.

They also tore down the old YMCA and the baseball field that was next to it. They were supposed to build a mixed use project with retail, housing, restaurants, and a hotel on that site, but it's on hold thanks to the poor economy.

I won't miss the old Cabrini-Green. Anyone who does has a misguided sense of nostalgia. (Same thing goes for the people who miss the "old" Times Square.)

I don't know if a Target is the ideal tenant. There's already one close enough, but it's better that what's there now. And, there's room on the site for a lot more than just a target.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

You bring up the old Times Square and beat me to my comment about the gentrification sounding like Manhattan. When CBGB can no longer afford to be in the Bowery, gentrification has gone too far, ha.

Seriously, I knew a guy who lived in an apartment (condo) that overlooked Washington Square Park. He said he could sit on his deck and watch junkies shoot up in the park. But that was back in the 70s. Now? It's all cleaned up...

As he told me the story, I honestly could not tell if he was complaining or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted