1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CA legislator proposes ban on spanking children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 21, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well done, Shottie...though I doubt some of the crew on here can wrap their heads around it.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wish I had thought of that. The wooden spoon was bad news -- just lethal enough to really sting. My dad always told us how lucky we were because when he was growing up, he had to go outside and break off a switch.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't sure about resurrecting this subject but whatever side of the fence you're on in this debate, I think this is a pretty good article on the subject.

http://www.slate.com/id/2158310/pagenum/all/#page_start

Who should we worry about more: The well-intentioned parent who smacks a child's bottom and gets hauled off to court, or the kid who keeps getting pounded because the cops can't find a bruise? This U.N. report on violence against children argues that "The de minimis principle—that the law does not concern itself with trivial matters" will keep minor assaults on children out of court, just as it does almost all minor assaults between adults. The U.N. Committee on the Rights of the Child has been urging countries to ban corporal punishment since 1996. The idea is that by making it illegal to hit your kids, countries will make hurting them socially unacceptable.

Draft saved Draft deleted