1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CA legislator proposes ban on spanking children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 21, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well said. JR seems to have this idiotic idea that every parent who gives their child a smack on the tush is some out-of-control, pissed-off maniac rather than a reasonable parent who has decided the situation requires that action to get the child's attention.

I can't do this. I've tried. My wife just laughs at me because even when I try to spank our little one, it's so weak that I might as well not bother. But there is nothing wrong with using spanking in parenting, as long is it is a reasoned disciplinary action rather than lashing out in anger. I've seen both, though obviously JR's view looking down his nose at the rest of us is too obscured for him to tell the difference.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hitting a child under three yrs old (or even older) is weak and pitiful...you're punishing a child for not having verbal skills or reasoning abilities or self-control, while basically showing you lack them as well.

And when the kid hits his brother, or another kid at school, they get in trouble again--"That's not nice! We don't hit! Use your words!'

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You shouldn't spank a child under three in any circumstance, but I agree that legislating such is a terrible idea.

Lots of complete idiots are parents. It's the way it is.

4. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

And all this time I thought it was just a myth.

For her spankings, my mom used a wooden cooking spoon, which I always thought was sort of the Derringer pistol of child discipline -- it's unconvential, yet lightweight, easy to carry and very effective in a tight spot.
    [/quote]

Dog are you my brother? My mom used one of those too...until I got too big and she whacked me with it on the butt and it broke. Long live the wooden spoon!

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

JR arrogant and foolish? No way!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would just like to state my protest at this time for Armchair_QB's use of CA as an abbreviation for California. We are not the damn post office!

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're in Cleveland dammit. Or at least waiting outside in Youngstown.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm partial to Parma personally.

9. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

My Mom used the same thing, I only got it once or twice. A quick crack on the ass, nothing sadistic. After that no matter how much my sister and I were fighting all we had to hear was the drawer in the kitchen open and we knocked it off quick.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

How many people commenting here don't have children?

I, for one, do not.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just trying to see how many people commenting have the experience. Not implying that those who don't have children don't know what they're talking about; nor am I implying those who have children do.

*that make sense?*

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't have children and I probably never will. There are a lot of things people do with their kids that I don't like, such as bringing infants to midnight movies (Come on, does a babysitter really cost that much?) but who am I to tell them it's wrong.
    I can't stand people who mistreat children. Nothing bothers me more. A few years ago, I remember sitting in a good court and hearing a mother yell at her 2-year-old who was acting up, telling him to "shut the fuck up."
    I really, really wanted to report her to the authorities for that. I'm not naive enough to think that saying to the kid in a calm voice "Will you please behave" would bring about the desired response, but swearing at a 2-year-old is just plain wrong.
    And God help the next person I hear do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted