1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CA legislator proposes ban on spanking children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 21, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you're probably not a parent.

Discipline AND love and affection are not mutually exclusive concepts.

And equating everyone getting trophies with the breakdown of North American society is ridiculous.

And spanking a small child doesn't keep them accountable. It just illustrates your failure as a parent to resolve the situation in question in an adult way.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I know those traits are not mutually exclusive. I didn't intend to imply that they were.

And I never used the word "breakdown." I don't think society is broken. But it's an example of this idea that kids need to be sheltered that everyone from hippies to the PTC try to impose.

And spanking does hold them accountable. It's been documented by anecdotal evidence from other posters, as well as myself. It's not at all an example of failure in any parenting skills.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

That would be good if young kids had the ability to reason consequences with actions. Punishment does not always have to be physical but it does send a message that go to your room your on time out can never do. The whole trophies thing is just a example of how we baby kids and try to tell them the are all winners. Fact is in life their are winners and losers and when you do not acknowledge failure you don't learn how to overcome it.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, anecdotal evidence on SportsJournalists.com is about as useful as evidence from the ID folks.

And since I have three reasonably well adjusted sons (21 and 18 year old twins) who were never spanked, I can tell you--anecdotally of course--that spanking is indeed a failure on the part of parents to deal with an irritating situation in an adult way.

If you're spanking a five year old, there's no way that will hold them accountable since five year olds don't really have a heightened sense of the concept of responsibility

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, judgemental much. There are far too many variables in parenting to say your method is the only one that is legitimate just because it works for you. My parents were not strict at all and I can count the times my brother and I got even a tiny smack on one hand.

I stayed out of trouble, excelled in school and turned out relatively okay (though that can definitely be put up for debate). My brother? Frankly, it's amazing he survived into adulthood with the shit he pulled. He eventually straightened out on his own, but that was sheer good fortune. I love my parents dearly, but if any child practically screamed out for a firmer hand it was him and he never got it.

The trophies thing is part of the trend away from accountability, and yes, away from teaching children to handle things in an adult way.

You don't get awards for just showing up in the adult world. You have to do it well, to excel if you want to get ahead. Working hard and getting better results is an important lesson and every single time we give the same award to the lazy kid who fails miserably that we give to the kid who works his ass off we are failing them. Sure, sometimes it is a matter of talent. But you know what we should be teaching kids who lack talent? Work harder, because that's exactly what they are going to have to do in life.

Different levels of discipline are necessary for different children. Sometimes, it really does take a little smack on the tush to get the point across. You find the level that works for you and your child and neither the government nor the new-age fucktards who can't undrestand how to mix positive and negative reinforcement should tell any of us to do otherwise.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, as I mentioned before, just because it worked for your kids, doesn't mean it isn't incredibly arrogant and foolish of you to say that the use of a different approach by another parent is a failure.

7. Flying Headbutt

So are you saying that there's only one way to raise a kid? That because your way worked, that's the ONLY way to do it?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They're not adults. They're kids. They're a subculture that pisses their pants, makes mud pies and picks their nose and eats it.

How do you "resolve the situation" of a four-year-old who keeps running away from you at the mall despite your constant pleas to knock it off "in an adult way."

"Son, your failure to comply with simple directions leaves me no choice but to put a report in your permanent file when we get home."

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does said California legislator have kids?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, I'm not talking about dealing with the kids as if they're adults. Read what I wrote.

I'm talking about dealing with a situation in an adult way--and by that I mean not resorting to violence.

Big distinction.

Spanking them means you've reduced yourself to their level because you haven't figured out a rational way of dealing with the situation.

11. Flying Headbutt

Hondo, no she doesn't.

JR, are you really so elitist and arrogant to think that you have the ultimate way to raise kids properly? You scoffed at my noted anecdotal evidence on the board, and then gave your own. In your own mind, that can trump all else, since they're your kids. But spanking has worked well to help raise many other kids. It's not childish, no matter what your elite sense of superiority says.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hope PETA doesn't find out about the kittens the squad is killing. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted