1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CA legislator proposes ban on spanking children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 21, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's not the age, it's the mileage

2. Yes, me. And it worked.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

At Thanksgiving, my dad was asking my 3 year old little cousin what she wanted for Chanukah. She didn't really answer, so my father started suggesting things. He said, "Do you want a doll?" "Do you want a puzzle?" "Do you want books?" My dad decided to mix it up, so he said, with a smile, "Do you want a spanking?" All of a sudden, she got this huge smile on her face, said "Yes!" and ran over to my dad and gave him a hug. Turns out she didn't know what a spanking was. She thought it sounded like something good.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Me too. And it really screwed me up in the head.

And that's all I'm contributing to this thread.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

And all this time I thought it was just a myth.

For her spankings, my mom used a wooden cooking spoon, which I always thought was sort of the Derringer pistol of child discipline -- it's unconvential, yet lightweight, easy to carry and very effective in a tight spot.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I can remember very vividly about three real spankings (no belts, or nothing like that). Just three good, ol'-fashioned, open-hand spankings. It leads me to believe that those were the only three I ever got.

The threat was enough.

(I don't like this law. If lawmakers don't have enough to do -- and obviously they don't, because they're wasting their time with shit like this -- then go find some other job.)

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

There is no threat anymore. That's why we're a society of whiny, self-absorbed brats. Everyone gets a fuckin' time out. Or they're X-Box time is limited to only an hour a day. Or they're not allowed to watch TV between 8 and 9 p.m.

Family that lived next to me when I was a teenager was one of these new age "we aren't going to hit our childen" parents. Well, they raised two kids and one and a half of them turned out to be brats (one eventually grew out of it). And the oldest one is hooked on drugs and, according to a buddy of mine who's a police officer in town now, "posesses every anti-social personality characteristic of serial killer."

Good job!

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damned right. I threw a rock through the neighbor's window once. Once.

And, by the way, there won't be a ban on spanking in my house.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And all that can be directly related to not spanking them?

That's pretty funny.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not directly. But that mindset, yes.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What mindset?

That if you don't spank your kids they'll turn into brats, drug addicts and serial killers?

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That if you don't discipline them, and just shower them with love and affection all the time, they'll grow up and be lovely adults and know right from wrong.

Maybe it's different up there, but American society has delved to the point where we don't keep score in little league, everyone gets trophies, and it's never Junior's fault he fucked up. That's whether you're talking school, the law, whatever. Kids don't ever have to suffer consequences. Spanking is a form of holding them accountable. It's not the only way, but it's A way.

Draft saved Draft deleted