1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C-J's Eric Crawford: Inside sportswriting: The view from press row

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ericcrawford/2011/02/07/inside-sportswriting-the-view-from-press-row/

Pretty sure this was a blog and didn't appear in print, but still good stuff IMO.

Posted a video from his seat's view during the final seconds of Kentucky's loss at Florida on Saturday night in an attempt to show readers that scribes don't always have the posh views/seats they think we do.

Apologies if this was a d_b and posted yesterday.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If he can't see the final 12 seconds of the game, he should stand up.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the occasional behind-the-scenes post like this, especially in a more casual, conversational forum like a blog. It's probably like sausage-making for some readers, but I think there's definitely an audience for it -- the video is smart, too.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I get what he's saying, but of all the things I've ever thought to complain about re: the gig, my seats at college basketball games are last on the list. You can hear the guys breathe, for god's sake. I have difficulty going to basketball games as a fan and sitting anywhere but courtside.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I cover two Division I teams, a major-conference school and a small-conference school.

At the small-conference school, I get to sit courtside, closest to the visiting team's bench. At the major-conference school, the press area is 15 rows up behind the home team bench, and it's a great vantage point. Even when the fans stand up, I can still see everything on the court.

I like both, because in both cases I get to see the game. Being close to the floor is great — you get to hear a lot of things. But I want to be able to see what I'm there to cover. Just getting to hear IPFW coach Dane Fife piss and moan to the officials for 40 minutes or Oakland coach Greg Kampe's extensive use of the f-word (like I did last week) is entertaining, but it doesn't help me do my job.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm surprised there haven't been more people with pitchforks and torches commenting on the thing. He tried to explain everything - I'm not complaining, it's acceptable to have the cheerleaders there, etc. - but I still thought there'd be an angry mob ready to take him to task.

I know of a few schools in the conference I cover where the seating is like this, too. I would say I don't understand why those who decide such things make such decisions, but I do - they don't care where we sit or how well we can see, not with TV and their own poorly-written, buried-lead stuff on their website.

7. Sly

Sly Active Member

If that cheerleader's ass was my view from press row, I probably wouldn't be able to stand up either. #ifyouknowwhatImean #jussayin

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It did look like he worked out.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

He did. And watched an overhead monitor. He stated that fairly clearly in the blog entry.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're not expecting us to have to read the crap we feel like criticizing now are you?

11. I cover UF football and basketball and he definitely makes some valid points. I had a much better vantage point when I was in the student seats and sat (stood) around mid-court on the first or second row.

I'm not sure I find it quite as difficult to keep up with the game from press row as he seems to, but there are definitely some angles that give you a better view from the stands. Still, I try to give my readers the kind of stuff that they can't get from watching on TV or from a few rows up. Stuff like the sounds and what the players and coaches are saying to each other.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is very little that isn't worth blogging about.

Draft saved Draft deleted