1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYU's leading rebounder Brandon Davies kicked off team for violating Honor Code

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Nick, I can't speak for the decision-makers, but it's best to kind of look at it as these things happen in varying degrees. A player cusses after a bad play, or a coach lets something fly in the heat of battle? Chances are, to use a sports analogy, no harm, no foul.

A student walks into a classroom and starts letting the F bombs fly? Or a higher-up at the school hears a steady stream of it? The punishment is likely to be far different.

Whatever Davies did, it either had to be very serious from the church's view (having sex, caught drinking alcohol or cheating on a test) or it had to be a repetitive pattern of behavior.

BYU doesn't toss people off its sports teams for minor transgressions of the honor code. Or there would be no one left to suit up.

2. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Well, is BYU going to say what he did?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I certainly hope not. I don't see how it's anyone's business, particularly if it's for something like drinking/sex or whatever. If it's not criminal, it's no one's business.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I heard a story that former football coach LaVelle Edwards has attended 7,000 weddings. And the response was: That's a lot of toaster ovens.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I reserve the right to make fun of the absurd beliefs of the LDS because they forced me to watch commercials as a child in the 1980s telling me I'm a bad person but disguised it as a public service announcement.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I was in SLC for the 1979 Final Four and it was dang near impossible to find a can of Coca-Cola anywhere in the downtown area. I hear things have loosened up somewhat since then.

As far as the Davies situation, it's kind of absurd but anybody going to school at BYU should understand from the get-go that they operate under their own conditions. If you don't like them, go somewhere else (it's pretty likely anybody offered by BYU probably has SOME alternatives on where to go to college).

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

That's why everyone gets to make fun of it, by the way.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't be an ass. But looking at recent posts, that's asking too much.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Mission rules are much stricter than BYU's honor code.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Word of Wisdom is not about caffeine. You can drink Coke and Mountain Dew. It's a myth that it's not allowed.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Every school has rules. BYU's may be stricter than others. But then again it's a private school and can set whatever rules they want. I suspect being gay might be against the rules, too. Oh, well, they make the rules. If one doesn't want to play by them, for Pete's sake, go someplace else.

Draft saved Draft deleted