1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYU's leading rebounder Brandon Davies kicked off team for violating Honor Code

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 2, 2011.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

What kid in his right mind will want to go there now if he sees what a little hummer or a little hooch will get him?
    Unless he grew up with Mitt Romney posters on his bedroom wall.

ETA: McMahon was Catholic and grew up wanting to go to Notre Dame. Although today, Catholic leaders are hooking up with LDS in a game of more-righty-than-thou.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I also think he's from Provo, which means if he's not Mormon he at least is very aware of the culture. I doubt he got kicked off for coffee.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you grow up in the faith, it's not a big deal. And with every student and faculty member bound to the code, I imagine it's not that difficult to abide by it.
    I was listening to a BYU game on the radio some years ago and the BYU announcers remarked about some Cougar students who made the road trip and were excited to be able to paint their faces - though if I read the code right - that would have been a violation as well.
    It might have been as simple as cheating on a test.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So am I.

5. As a former BYU athlete, let me clear up a few things ...

1. He would not have been kicked off the team for going to Starbucks, or for even drinking coffee. Yes, students are not supposed to drink it, but that is not something that is going to get you kicked off the team.

2. He would not have been kicked off the team for making out with his girlfriend.

3. He would not have been kicked off the team for having hair that's too long or not keeping his beard trimmed.

As someone previously said, he did one of three things -- he either had sex, got caught drinking or cheated in class.

As someone else also said, one, you know the rules going in. If you can't hack it, don't go there. It's not for everyone, just like the military academies and their stringent requirements aren't for everyone. Truth be told, I struggled with it after transferring in from another school, and I am LDS. In some ways, it is very strict.

Oh, and TigerVols, nice stereotype about something you obvisouly know nothing about. I am very thick-skinned when it comes to my religion, but it's funny how people feel Mormons are still fair game for cheap shots, when if you took a similar shot at other groups of people (blacks, Jews, gays, etc.) you'd be called a bigot.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

Drink this anywhere else, you're a girly man. Do the same in Provo, you're lightly-buzzed after 20 and the antichrist.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I understand all the responses. They know what they are getting into, and the rules are the rules. But is it realistic in the sense that a school like this can challenge for a national title when standards are so high? Just look at Notre Dame the last 20 years and compare it with schools like Ohio State, Kentucky and now Auburn. The NCAA is a dirty, dirty entity.

8. Is it realistic? Maybe not. It doesn't mean they can't catch lightning in a bottle. The football team won an NCAA title in 1984, and before this news came to light, given the craziness that is college basketball this year, you would have had to at least have BYU in the discussion.

The school, and the church, have made it clear that its policies are more important than chasing championships. Given what happens at a lot of places ... for instance, check out the story on CNNSI.com about all of the college football athletes with arrest records ... I think places like BYU, and the military academies, should get credit for adhering to a different standard.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Re: BYU's leading rebounder Brandon Davies kicked off team for violating Honor C

i played joseph smith in a grade school production, think i can fill in?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In his biography in the mid-80s, he claimed that they would spy on him and harass him about his drinking and his relationship with his (future) wife, but they ultimately did nothing until his eligibility expired. Then, they kicked him out.

He also ripped the school for sitting on a medical report about one of his teammates that showed that he had a tumor, that, if it hadn't been caught in time, would have killed him, and the hypocriscy in the school lecturing students to lead clean lives while covering things up themselves. He added that the school would send him donation letters, and he'd toss them in the trash.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My guess is they'd rather compromise their shot at national championships -- though BYU is obviously quite competitive in some sports -- than compromise their principles.

Again, that's just a guess from an outsider.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Not trying to be a jerk here, but none of those you listed as an example are choices. Last time I checked Mormon was a choice and not some genetic lineage.

Draft saved Draft deleted