1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Byline strike in St. Paul

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by woodstein, Jul 17, 2009.

1. VJ

VJ Member

Considering 2 of the 4 stories on A1 are by the NYT and WP, I doubt anyone will notice.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't relate, because my former newspaper has long been top heavy with people who wouldn't look out of place on the managerial team in "Dilbert."

People who would be delighted at a byline strike because it would dovetail nicely with their unstated but obvious goal of having as much copy as possible written by people outside the utterly powerless bargaining unit.

It's mismanagement on a scale that leads to gems like this getting in the paper and/or online, but I (hilariously) digress.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The sadder thing about my paper is, our publisher wouldn't notice for a whole month if it weren't football season.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Never, ever will understand byline strikes. So stupid. Readers don't give a hoot about the reporters and couldn't care less who wrote what. As long as the info and story is there, they're good.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

We did this at my current shop sometime in the last few years. Let's just say management basically laughed at it , and there were more reporters/photogs worried about not having their names on things as award deadlines approached than I would have ever imagined.
    Not sure what was worse . . . OK, it was the selfish union members whining about not having bylines so they could try and win some regional contests.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If newspaper employees want to do an effective protest, here's an idea to kick around:

How about blowing deadline on purpose?

I'm talking about every newsroom employee doing their work (with their bylines, naturally), but wait an extra couple of hours before sending it.

Readers don't notice bylines. But they would notice if their paper arrived three hours later.

7. Because that punishes the reader.
    These folks were trying to make a gesture that got the readers' attention without taking away from the quality of the product.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, other than writing editorials ripping management (which naturally, they won't allow), what can employees do?

Strikes also hurt the readers. This way, they will still get their paper. It just will be a little late.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

All you guys are minimizing the impact of the St. Paul union's protest, because you're forgetting that ...

... they all wore black on the same day they withheld their bylines!

Pretty scary, eh, kids? Ooooooooooooooh!!!

Good cause, absolutely impotent response.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Why's it gotta be black? Why couldn't they have all worn purple? Or green? Why is black alway the negative color - black list, black hole . . . sickens me.

Draft saved Draft deleted