1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye, Bye Rudy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Mar 5, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One more thing... Every freeze-dried, full of shit candidate is "crafting" positions right now and not taking a stand on anything, lest they put their asses on the line. I'm not saying Giuliani is going to be able to play the game as a national candidate, the way he could as mayor of NYC, but geez, the guy has proven that when he believes in something, he'll stand up for it, without lies or bullshit. The two instances that come to mind and make me smile:

1) When the UN was having that 50th Anniversary event, Giuliani invited everyone but Yasser Arafat and Fidel Castro to a performance at Lincoln Center. That in itself was beautiful. But Arafat showed up anyhow, and tried to take a seat by the stage, and Giuliani had him booted and ordered kept off the premises. You can call it a bullshit bully tactic--if you really want to cry tears for Arafat and Castro. Or you can call it a street fighter who understood how to throw an effective dirty punch. It took balls the size of melons, and during the beating he took from the liberal establishment in the aftermath, he didn't once flinch.

2) After 9/11, when that Saudi prince showed up in NYC with a $10 million check and then implied that the U.S. brought the attack upon itself, Giuliani wouldn't accept the check and was strong in his statement that there is no moral equivalent for that kind of terrorist attack. Think of all the "nuanced" presidential candidates out there. How many would have reacted the same way in his shoes--not even a second thought, just an "F U very much!"?

2. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

How principled is Guiliani on partial-birth abortions? I'm betting the Christian right remembers his position in 1999 and 2000.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That U.N. thing is about the most petty thing I can think of. Not think I'm gonna vote for somebody who would be that flippant about diplomacy.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Dools, Rudy is a petty, petulant bully.

And, Lamar, it is just like the Religious Right to excoriate Rudy for his stand on abortion but not be concerned with his total lack of morality in having very public affairs while the still-married, high-profile mayor of NYC.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

spnited, you know I respect you, but I ask, who the hell better do we have?

If you listen to the righty-right, they'll tell you that McCain lost his marbles years ago. Oops, they're writing him checks now.
    Obama has no foreign policy experience.
    Hillary had Vince Foster and Ron Brown offed.
    (Figuring I didn't need to use the sarcasm font there, it was blatant enough.)

Really, though, I don't know who else you could say would be a good, not-very-flawed candidate.

6. The Big Ragu

I guess I should repeat what I wrote: I'm not saying Giuliani is going to be able to play the game as a national candidate, the way he could as mayor of NYC, but geez, the guy has proven that when he believes in something, he'll stand up for it, without lies or bullshit.

Do you honestly believe partial birth abortion is something he feels passionately about?

You know... the things he has taken bold, unpopular actions over, in the past?

You completely missed the point of my post. WHEN HE BELIEVES IN SOMETHING, i.e. the stuff he feels strongly about.

Yeah. It's obvious to anyone who has followed his public life that partial birth abortion is what he's all about.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a question: who cares?

8. The Big Ragu

Ha. He wasn't diplomatic with Yasser Arafat and Fidel Castro. Wah wah wah. Good stuff.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

At the moment, wicked, think there a lot of very flawed candidates.
    All I'm saying is those who are in love with Rudy are in for a rude (no pun) awakening.
    They have seen the superficial stuff... they have not seen the arrogant, vicious, mean-spirited, rights-trampling, power-crazed Rudy.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Except a president has to be diplomatic with a lot of people he'd rather tell to fuck off. A president really shouldn't be that small.

11. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

What are Bill Richardson's flaws?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Reminds me of some guy who's been elected twice in the past eight years.

Draft saved Draft deleted