1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By demand from another thread: Name a democrat hate-monger.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Jul 11, 2008.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Don't patronize me, please.

I KNOW Roe is safe and sound under the Republicans. Repeal it and throw away that piece of red meat for the base? Are you kidding?

And, as a high-school teacher told me once, when you point the finger at someone, you got three pointing back at you. You're the one who claims it would be fear-mongering to say a Republican president would work to repeal Roe, and the presumptive GOP nominee is on record saying he would do just that (for that minute, anyway).

http://www.nrlc.org/Election2008/mccainrecord0608.pdf

The fact that you or I think that overturning Roe is politically disadvantageous wouldn't make the charge untrue.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The charge is untrue since the candidates know how politically stupid it would be to attempt to repeal Roe v. Wade.

McCain is "on record" about a lot of things. His opinions change with the wind.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Can't engage in sex outside the bounds of marriage and be a Christian either, if you follow the rules closely. And believe me, there's plenty of people I know who do the former and claim the latter.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I'd like a little less fear mongering from both sides, and Pelosi's empty promises, and more getting DONE rather than lip service.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Radio host Mike Malloy is about the closest thing the left has to a Rush Limbaugh in tone.
    "While his on-air style features a variety of moods and themes, he is well known for his mocking, relentless satirical criticisms of U.S. Republican Party, Democratic Party, George W. Bush, right-wing Christians, politicians (especially rightist conservatives and neo-conservatives), and people he deems racist and homophobic. Following John Kerry's 2004 election loss, Malloy made public that he would remain a Democrat, but no longer donate money to the leadership of the Democratic Party. He has subsequently made public overtures to the Green Party while still occasionally speaking at selected Democratic Party fundraisers.

Malloy has clarified that his on-air attacks are intended to be humorous, previously stating, "there are some good Republicans", but explaining "You know... I tried to be Mr. Nice Guy... I used to be on CNN's Talkback Live. I tried to be a nice man... you know, don't get ugly. What did I get for it? Pushed into the wall. Screw 'em." Malloy dismisses the notion of "try[ing] to see both sides", because "these [right-wing Republicans] are murderous sons-of-bitches who won't allow normal, rational discussion."

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mike Malloy is one batshit crazy dude. Entertaining and occasionally funny ... but batshit crazy. I won't quite say he's the Savage of the left, but he's working on it.

And Randi Rhodes did her best to join him at that level before Air America had had enough. Both of them are on some start-up liberal network now (I don't even know if AA is on the air anymore since I can't get it).

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

It was either Wilde or Shaw, when asked what he thought of Christians, who said, "I don't know. I've never met one."

And also from the past but on the other side of the pond, that which could easily apply today in other contexts:

Then there's the long essay Twain produced in 1901, "The United States of Lyncherdom." This is not a single-minded polemic. It registers the horror of lynchings but also undertakes to empathize with people who attended them. Their motivation, Twain argued, is not inhuman viciousness but "man's commonest weakness, his aversion to being unpleasantly conspicuous, pointed at, shunned, as being on the unpopular side. Its other name is Moral Cowardice, and is the commanding feature of the make-up of 9,999 men in the 10,000 ..."

As a remedy, Twain proposed, tongue in cheek, that sheriffs might be dispatched to communities where a lynching was about to take place. If they could rally enough citizens to oppose the hideous deed, that would make the anti-lynching position the new conventional wisdom that everyone would flock to conform to. But a problem--where to find enough sheriffs? Why not draft them from among the Christian missionaries spreading the malady of Western civilization in China? (Missionaries were a favorite target for Twain.) In China, he told his readers, "almost every convert runs a risk of catching our civilization ... We ought to think twice before we encourage a risk like that; for, once civilized, China can never be uncivilized again ... O compassionate missionary, leave China! come home and convert these Christians!"

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1820166-1,00.html

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You are right -- you can struggle with homosexuality and homosexual thoughts and as long as you are striving for righteous you can be a Christian.

You cannot however embrace the homosexual lifestyle and call yourself a Christian because repentence means turning away from your sinful lifestyle and following Christ and trying to become more Christlike......

9. Repentence doesn't mean you will be perfect. Otherwise Christ wouldn't have had to die.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Right. So next time I have a conversation with someone who goes to church and yet lives with her boyfriend, I should tell her she's not a Christian?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cross Her Off
    CHICAGO (Reuters) - The U.S. Green Party, which captured far less than 1 percent of the vote in the last presidential election, chose former Democratic Rep. Cynthia McKinney as its 2008 presidential candidate on Saturday.

McKinney, 53, will be joined on the ticket for the November election by vice presidential candidate Rosa Clemente, a hip-hop artist and activist.

McKinney received 313 out of 532 votes cast at the party's nominating convention in Chicago, party spokesman Scott McLarty said.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes and you should read the part of the bible in Ephesians where it says fornicators will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

I know that is a book that liberal Christians like Demo probably don't like because, you know, there isn't quite a clause in it that says "these laws and commandments can always be overridden if you find they cramp your lifestyle or run opposite of the culture of any given era......"

Draft saved Draft deleted