1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buzz Bissinger: One angry man

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ball Four and A Season On the Bring are fantastic sports books, too. But you are basically compiling a list of the greatest sports books and of course reasonable people can disagree on the order. Here is that SI list. They put Ball Four at 3, Friday Night Lights at 4 and A Season on the Bring at 6.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/features/2002/top_sports_books/1/

2. AD

AD Active Member

all this may be true about fnl. but the opening page of the book about la russa is one of the worst written of any sports book i've ever read....

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked When Pride Still Mattered better than FNL. I liked Into Thin Air better than FNL.

But even to call it the best sports book ever isn't that much of a stretch. I've read a good chunk of the books on the SI list and FNL is probably fifth or sixth.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Second that. They'd give LaRussa a Noble Prize for Sports, if it existed.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

After a few weeks following his rants on Twitter, I blocked him last night. Just too much hate for this world. Ha!

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

so you guys are knocking FNL down a couple of pegs because his larussa book sucked. that doesn't make any sense.

7. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Bissinger's Twitter stuff is fantastic. The man knows how to rant.

In regards to Leitch, a couple days ago Bissinger actually listed him as one of the writers he respects.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nope. FNL was very-well-put together, with an inspired choice of subject.
    for which Buzz gets full marks. I'm simply not prepared to canonize the guy,
    because his judgment (i. e. the "Who? Me? Asleep at the wheel?" lawyer)
    isn't bulletproof.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ok, that makes sense. my point was just that writing a mediocre book about a boring subject and being a d-bag doesn't tarnish FNL - or the skill it required to produce FNL - in the slightest for me.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Buzz has been going crazy on Twitter lately, and this morning is no exception. He just tweeted that he has given Boobie Miles, one of the guys he wrote about in FNL, $80K over the years.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Bissinger and Simmons had a really good podcast last week. Lot of talk about Twitter, Buzz's rage, newspapers and Friday Night Lights.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2864045

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He had admitted in the past that he gave Boobie money over the years. Interesting to hear a dollar figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted