1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Anyone hear of writers who have announced they are taking the buyouts at some of the biggest papers? I'm talking Chi. Tribune, Fort Lauderdale and Detroit. (I hadn't realized until today that Detroit was looking to pare staff further.)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has Lauderdale made the announcement official yet? I know everyone there knows it's coming, but I haven't seen or heard about an announcement yet.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Friday . . . although today is when 20-30 volunteers were supposed to report to HR to do paperwork.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing 20-30 isn't going to cut it...

Here we go again...

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

55-60 was a given all along.

But the 20-30 volunteering just means that many fewer taps on the shoulder come Friday.

I'm leaving the country Monday. Hope my building garage pass works when I come back Aug. 9.

6. Mizzougrad96

How many in sports?

7. chitown

chitown New Member

Detroit Free Press+News+Agency had 115 take the latest buyout. The JOA bosses were asking for 150 so layoffs may be coming. Not sure on any Freep sports departures, though they just fired a reporter a month or two ago. But I hear the News is losing three writers and no editors.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I see that Steve Springer is covering the U.S. basketball team this week for the LA Times. I believe he is leaving. Let's hope he's spending his expense account aggressively in Las Vegas.

9. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Any further word from Chicago Tribune, news or sports?

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Who did the Freep fire?

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Chris Silva?

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Seriously? I wonder why. Shit, I liked Chris.

EDIT: Are you sure? His name is still on the "Contact Us" page.

Draft saved Draft deleted