1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts at the Strib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Mark

Mark Member

Sad, but since new ownership unexpectedly swooped in recently, I guess it's not a total shock.

I loved Aschburner, he did some great takeouts and was entertaining as can be (I believe "King Crimson" once appeared in one of his game stories), and I know Derek Simmons won some national awards for design.

Suckfest.....

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1054215.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yet Sid stays on... good God...

3. don't know him, but that makes him one of my favorites & I wish him the best

sundown dazzling day
    gold through my eyes
    but my eyes turned within
    only see
    starless and bible black

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn.
    Some of my older brethren chime in - can you in good conscience recommend this business to young folks anymore? Not sure I can.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'd like to think I ain't THAT old, but I can't in good conscience recommend this business to anybody.

6. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

WOW! G'night everybody. When you lose Moddy, you lose the nation.

Sadly, it seems you couldn't be more right, Moddy.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

No shit...they probably could have kept three staffers on with what that douche makes...

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Well put.

And absolutely true, both to you and to Moddy.

9. goose

goose Member

From what I hear, it's not as bad as it seems. The buyouts were voluntary--staffers could trigger them within a few days of a sale. Sale closed last week, so some people who were looking to retire anyway do so with a nice bonus check.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not to mention this is the first time Strib's done this, as far as I can recall.

Now if they do it again and again, then hit the deck.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Departing staff members gave a number of reasons for leaving. Some will retire; Simmons is joining the Los Angeles Times; Reinan will go into public relations while Lutsey is joining the ministry.

Interesting career change.

As far as getting into the news business, there will always be a place for reporters and writers.

What they write and report for, and how that information gets distributed, is changing, though.

12. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

I'm very interested to hear what Aschburner plans to do. When someone finds out... please share.

Draft saved Draft deleted