1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying Presents For Co-Workers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When it comes to buying Christmas presents for co-workers, I've always found that some sort of box of candy always does the trick. It's easy, implies thought, and hell you don't even have to wrap them. But what about when you're spending your first Christmas in a shop? In years past I've had to load up and hope I had enough for everyone that got me something. This year, not a single thing except for one person I've become pretty good friends with. So now I've got a big bag full of candy (chocolate and saltwater taffy) sitting at home (since most of the people I work with are off for the next couple of days) that I don't know what to do with.

How do you all handle things like that?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Neighbors. Wrap a couple handfuls in a gift bag of some sort and get to know a few people next door.

3. Flying Headbutt

I've actually thought of that.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You can also buy some colored plastic wrap and tie it with ribbon. It looks really difficult, and totally isn't.

5. Flying Headbutt

I have fewer wrapping skills than Vanilla Ice. Wrapping up a few DVD's for cousins was amazingly difficult. I'll never throw gift bags away, because I turn right around and use them again for someone else.

And birthdays? Forget it. You get it in the bag the store gave me when I walked out the door.

6. Fuck that. For what we're making, we'd have to be on crack to waste money on each other. I can barely pay my gas bill, so I don't think the Lifestyles editor in the next cubicle is expecting a gift from me.

7. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

At my paper the holidays are nuts. Everyday when I walk in, there's a new something sitting on my chair. Could be a couple Hershey kisses, or some random card. I feel sorta bad that I don't do that, but I get over it pretty quick.

8. Flying Headbutt

And see that's what I wanted to avoid. Now I have all this damn candy. Does anyone like chocolate covered caramels? Saltwater taffy? All that stuff is NOT good for my girlish figure.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

In my shop giving Christmas gifts is something the womenfolk do. The guys just say Merry Christmas and leave it at that. Fine by me.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Untrue.

I think you've got the best girlish figure this side of Rosie O'Donnell.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Got two TREMENDOUS gifts from co-workers this year:

* An autographed copy of Giada's "Family Dinners" books (Take THAT, Agate Monkey!)
    * A Dunder Mifflin "WORLD'S BEST BOSS" coffee mug.

Outstanding stuff.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Buying gifts for co-workers and/or bosses is extremely optional.

Giving orbuying gifts for employees, however, should be manditory. I appreciated my boss showing up at my home a few days ago with a plate of goodies and the memo informing me of my raise for next year.

If/when I become a boss again (ha!) I'll try to keep the underlings less unhappy with food or gift certificates to Chili's, Applebee's or someplace like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted